little pump - little use

adri123
adri123 Posts: 32
edited March 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Out for a ride tonight and got a puncture. Changed the innertube fine but then tried to pump up with the Decathlon bought little pump. It was cheap so shouldn't have expected much but it was totally useless.

Is there a little pump which can be carried on a ride which will work and not cost a bomb?

Cheers

Nick

Comments

• Lagrange
    Lagrange Posts: 652
    erm - surely plenty...Mine is a basic halfords strapped to the water bottle mounting screwa - kept in a poly bag to keep it mudless and dry. £15 - this is an important item of kit! Alt get one of those £4.99 long pumps and stick it in your back pack.
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    What's a bomb? You can get Blackburn Mammoths for about £10 from a lot of places. They work well, last forever, and, if anything does wear out, spares are available too.

I've been quite impressed by a little Lezyne one I bought recently too, but they cost a bit more.
  • snoopsmydogg
    snoopsmydogg Posts: 1,110
    bought mine from aldi/lidl. Under a tenner, it has been dropped at speed on numerous occasions, ran over a few times (once by an m-class merc) and still gets me home if I get a flat.

The pump is good for the money but the daft little clamp that screws to the bottle mount is pants.I later found it is small enough to carry around in a jersey pocket though.
  • This http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mobi ... elID=36289 is brilliant (IMO) Expensive maybe, but top quality, light, effective, easy to use and feels like it'll last forever. Don't really need a bigger pump at home either, this does the trick
  • tarbot18
    tarbot18 Posts: 531
    Ive had loads of cheap plastic £7 to £15 pumps and learnt the hard way that you get what you pay for, they fall apart get clogged etc etc.
    Buy cheap buy twice its not something you should scrimp on if your gonna be 20 miles away from your car on a trail somewhere.
    Get one of these well built tough and easy to use
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lezyne-Pressu ... em230f1d63

I dont work for lezeyne but will accept commision from them......
    The family that rides together stays together !

Boardman Comp 29er 2013

Whyte T129s 2014 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12965414&p=18823801&hilit=whyte+t129s#p18823801

Road Scott speedster s50 2011
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    What do you mean by totally useless?

Small pumps shift a small volume so however good they are, they still take an age to pump up a tyre!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    Me and a pal both bought 1 of these at a similar time, from different shops http://www.evanscycles.com/products/topeak/racerocket-mini-pump-ec023030#features

His stopped working very soon, took it back and swapped it for another. That worked a couple of times before it packed up.
    I thought it might have been him being a muppet, but then mine broke after the first couple of uses. Got mine swapped and guess what, broke again.

Got a 2nd hand blackburn kamikaze now which is brilliant.
  • DanDax1990
    DanDax1990 Posts: 1,201
    I have a Blackburn Mammoth, Recommended. Never had any issues with it!
  • Clank
    Clank Posts: 2,323
    Lezyne Alloy Drive mini (medium size) - not the cheapest but it never lets me down.
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.
  • batmo
    batmo Posts: 277
    Ditto for the Blackburn Mammoth. I bought mine with my first MTB in 1997 and it's always performed well. When I ride with my mates and anyone punctures I always get "Can I borrow your pump...?"
    Viscount Grand Touring - in bits
    Trek ZX6500 - semi-retired
    HP Velotechnik Spirit
    Brompton M6
    Specialized Camber Comp