Doncaster - London in one day

rodgers73
rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
Setting off in a few hours (4.30am) to ride to London (Kings Cross).

Hope to do it non-stop.

Will let you know how I get on

Comments

• marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    rodgers73 wrote:
    Setting off in a few hours (4.30am) to ride to London (Kings Cross).

Hope to do it non-stop.

Will let you know how I get on

Best of luck in it all. What's the distance on the intended route?

Weather looking pretty good for riding tomorrow (only doing a 200km though).
  • dandrew
    dandrew Posts: 175
    Enjoy! You'll get tired at some stage so keep safe.
    4:30 am is a good time to hit the roads! ( as long as the alarm goes off!!)
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    Jeez... have train tickets become so expensive?
    left the forum March 2023
  • marcusjb
    I can't stand the suspense - did our intrepid adventurer make it?

Great day to be out - perfect for a 300km - though it got pretty chilly once the sun went down.
  • rodgers73
    Made it ok.

4.30am start (bloody cold!) and 7.00pm finish at Kings Cross station. Straight across the road to the Travelodge to defrost and then popped out for a pizza.

Total distance was 182 miles, a lot of that on uneventful A roads, but got a few nice climbs in Rutland/North Northamptonshire. Took the St Albans - Edgware - Maida Vale - Marylebone Road route into London on the A5, and avoided a lot of traffic stress due to being in a nice slow moving bus lane. Bad for getting chilly due to not having to pedal much but good for winding down after 12 hours of riding.

Was dark by the time I hit the capital and enjoyed the sights, sounds and smells of having lots of people around me for the first time that day. The takeaways made me drool a lot!

Stopped twice en route - both after about 66 miles non-stop. First one at Melton Mowbray - no pork pie, just a couple of teas and a doughnut for breakfast at the MacDonalds. The next one at a pub just south of Bedford - dried my sweaty softshell jacket on a radiator and pulled on my spare baselayer for the final stretch.

Got the train home this lunchtime after a long lie in (cant fault Travelodge beds) and demolishing the breakfast buffet!

Sofa time now...
  • marcusjb
    Good work - really a good day for the time of year, so well chosen!

That sort of distance at this point of the year is never easy - so well done! (though you should have ridden another 5 miles to get the 300km! - sorry!).
  • rodgers73
    Cheers!

I know - bit gutted as Garmin Connect plotted the route as being 188.

Bit punchy when I got to the end. I accosted a random woman outside the hotel - "do you know how far I've come to get here??". When I told her she wasn't that impressed - her reply was "well, I got the train here from Leicester - much easier".
  • marcusjb
    People never quite understand! You always get asked "Where have you come from?" and you might answer "London" and they'll be amazed that anyone could ride the 50 miles from London (to the location of this imaginary exchange) - I rarely have the heart to tell them I've been to Wales (or wherever) and I'm on my way home!
  • rodgers73
    Shame you cant carry a huge milometer on your back really...