Road bike beginner - What do I wear??

Mullet52
Mullet52 Posts: 45
edited March 2013 in Road beginners
Hi I'm new here and new to road cycling. I'm a bit of a fitness freak but spend most of my time in the gym lifting weights, running or rowing. Took advantage of the cycle to work scheme and got myself a Boardman Road Sport.

I know quite a bit about the mechanicals and bike equipment, but no idea what you guys wear to cycle. I've seen padded under shorts? Are these necessary? Any help appreciated

Comments

• simon_masterson
    simon_masterson Posts: 2,740
    edited March 2013
    You probably won't be very comfortable without a pad over any significant distance at any significant rate. You can wear undershorts if you want to, but if the pad in your shorts is good enough and you have the right saddle fitted correctly, you shouldn't need them.

The basic getup is bibshorts with a jersey. You can add arm and leg/knee warmers of various weights and lengths (particularly if the day is likely to warm up or the weather is variable), gilets or lightweight packable waterproofs, you can opt for various weights of jersey depending on the season (and layer them if needed), you can swap the shorts for tights or use unpadded tights over them, and there are many shades of caps and gloves. A cap is well worth wearing for all cycling.

At this time of year you're probably best off with tights and a winter jersey with a base layer or jersey underneath, as it is still quite cool out. By the time we're well into spring and approaching summer you may want to start wearing short sleeves and warmers, and you won't want to be wearing tights and long sleeves in the summer heat (however rare it is in this country).

In other words, it's a matter of how much you want to spend and how much cycling you want to do. Make sure you provide for your extremities too: a wool cap - preferably with earflaps - is one of the best investments you can make at this time of year, and some warm gloves of some sort (I just wear cheap fleece ones over my mitts) you will be very thankful for also, along with overshoes and woollen socks.
  • supermurph09
    supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
    Others may say different but....

I'm 6ft, slim, 81kg. I wear endura bib shorts, found them comfortable and had no chafing etc. at this time of the year, I've worn a base layer from decathlon, long sleeve cycle jersey. If its really cold I'll wear my jacket. I also wear a snood/neck warmer, overshoes (if really cold), gloves, skull cap, leg warmers, Oakleys. Standard stuff really, hopefully next few weeks, the leg warmers, overshoes and skull cap will be stored away.
  • philwint
    philwint Posts: 763
    to start with it really doesn't matter. Your running kit will be just fine.

Then get more cycling specific clothing once you know why you are buying it.

I bet the first purchase will be padded shorts though :roll:

Something like these http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-aeron-cycling-short/ will probably be fine. You can go the Rapha or Assos bib short route later!
  • Mullet52
    So if I start off with:

Padded shorts
    Baselayer
    Jersey

And maybe a jacket, tights, cap, gloves

Will this do me for now?
  • Mikey41
    Mikey41 Posts: 690
    Should get you going. Something I have found works well is using the thin woolen thermal gloves under my mitts. They are really cheap and really warm.

Now that it's warming up, be careful with jackets. I have a softshell jacket from Lidl. Unless it's less than 5C, it's way too warm!
    Giant Defy 2 (2012)
    Giant Defy Advanced 2 (2013)
    Giant Revel 1 Ltd (2013)
    Strava
  • Mullet52
    I know these are really cheap but would they be ok for me to get started with? Along with other products from sports direct.

http://www.sportsdirect.com/muddyfox-cy ... ens-636224
  • Mikey41
    Shorts are one area that I will spend good money, pad quality varies massively. I have some long bibs from Lidl, cost £10, and they are nice and warm, but after a few months, the pad is disappearing fast so I use them for commuting only now.

They should be OK to get going with but I fear you will want to replace them within 6 months. Other stuff like jerseys and base layers will be absolutely fine.
    Giant Defy 2 (2012)
    Giant Revel 1 Ltd (2013)
    Strava
  • Mullet52
    Ye I may as well try them and I'll get some quality ones in the summer when I get more into it. I've got £100 to get shoes. pedals and clothes. Looking at getting stuff from ebay but is it this possible with £100?
  • Don't bother with a jacket; get a warmer jersey instead, and get the tights if you possibly can. Unpadded ones (I use DHB) work fine. You will want some gloves too with the temperatures as they are, even if they aren't cycling ones.
  • supermurph09
    Mullet52 wrote:
    Ye I may as well try them and I'll get some quality ones in the summer when I get more into it. I've got £100 to get shoes. pedals and clothes. Looking at getting stuff from ebay but is it this possible with £100?

Of course, a budget is a budget, the padded shorts may be ok, but I'd hate you to buy some cheap shorts, be really uncomfortable and it put you off. For me, bib shorts were one area I didn't scrimp, I feel it paid off.
  • Mullet52
    I'm not the sort of person to get put off by been a cheap skate haha. I'll get the cheap bib shorts from sports direct and if they're crap I'll throw them straight in the bin and go and buy some quality ones. I'll just have to go over budget a little.

Cant wait to get out on the bike now though!!
  • canny_lad
    canny_lad Posts: 329
    All good advice so far. Have you thought about/already got a helmet?

To go on your head before it gets asked :P
  • Mikey41
    Mullet52 wrote:
    Did the Boardman come with clips and straps on its pedals? If so, make use of them and hold off on the clipless pedals and shoes until later, that liberates at least £50 of your budget right there. That way, £100 can go quite a long way on clothing and a helmet.
    Giant Defy 2 (2012)
    Giant Revel 1 Ltd (2013)
    Strava
  • supermurph09
    Canny lad wrote:
    All good advice so far. Have you thought about/already got a helmet?

To go on your head before it gets asked :P

I have a Specialized Echelon helmet, medium, brand new condition for sale for £20. That will save you a few quid! :D
  • gazman1
    gazman1 Posts: 77
    Sorry for hijack supermurph where abouts in derbyshire are you re helmet? Gaz
  • dbairduk
    dbairduk Posts: 50
    I got some muddy fox padded shorts from sports direct, one ride in them and I could see what a bad fit they were.
    I got some dhb Aeron Race Cycling Bibs from wiggle and a high vis Pearl Izumi Elite Barrier Jacket. The jacket is windproof and waterproof. Its fine with just a t-shirt under it even at this time of year.

One thing I wish I had got was some very insulated socks as my MTB spd shoes seem to let the cold wind in. I do get very cold feet though in general.

They are on my next shopping list with a nice jersey. I feel a bit of a muppet walking in a cafe full of cyclists with tracksuit bottoms on too, but resisting on buying tights for now.