Towbar or not Towbar - that is the question.

Lagrange
Lagrange Posts: 652
edited March 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Towbar for the bike - is that a modification to the car which requires an insurance declaration?

Comments

• ToeKnee
    ToeKnee Posts: 376
    I declared mine. You are meant to notify them of ALL modifications. Made no difference to my premium and now they have no excuse to worm out of paying any claims.
    Seneca wrote:
    It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare; it is because we do not dare that they are difficult.
    Specialized TriCross Sport+Ultegra+Rack&Bag+Guards+Exposure Lights - FCN 7
    Track:Condor 653, MTB:GT Zaskar, Road & TT:Condors.
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    Didn't tell them, have made claims with no issue. Tbh I never considered it a modification.

ETA: they replaced the tow bar as part of the claim when someone ran into me.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • Lagrange
    Lagrange Posts: 652
    ...but that would not have been your claim unless you had the tow bar fitted to the front - might be a good way of keeping an eye on the bike though. I'll declare and let you know if it costs.
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    I doubt there is any harm in telling, what I am saying is I didn't and it hasn't been a problem. The missus rolled the same car after they replaced the towbar and that was entirely own fault, again they paid out with no hassles.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    I got a towbar fitted recently rang up the insurance to let them know and it was no extra. Girl on phone said tell your insurance whenever you modify anything usually its no extra but as said above if you dont tell them you give them ammo to either not payout or reduce your payout. 99% of time you would probably get away with fitting a towbar and not telling them its not exactly a stage 4 race tune but its a swine if your the 1%.

The only time I can see it making any difference is if your hit up the back the towball mountings could cause more damage to your car by wrecking the boot floor.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Tell them about it, best to be safe than sorry and the likelyhood of being charged extra is minimal judging by people on here/that I know. I have all my cars mods declared (lowered and all that jazz) and that only raises my premium by a few quid!