Where can I race?

saprkzz
saprkzz Posts: 592
edited March 2013 in Amateur race
Are there any restrictions to me entering races in different areas? I live in Bucks, but have seen some great races on nice circuits like Ludgeshall, Hillingdon, Eelmore Mallory Park.. The sort of places i wouldnt mind starting off at.

I have my 4th Cat, and registered to a BC club. On one particular race league series on the BC Calendar says it entry on the day, but this is an hour drive for me.

My question is, are there restrictions on me racing in different areas?.. or can I just turn up to the "Entry on the day" events.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    Can race anywhere you like. Just turn up.
  • saprkzz
    Ok, thanks, I was getting confused reading the surrey league "rules"

5.13 The League is open to First Claim Members of Affiliated Clubs only.

5.14 All eligible riders must be registered with the League.

5.15 There is no limit to the number of Registered Riders per club and additional riders may be registered at any time during the season.

5.16 To Register with the League a Rider must first complete the Registration Form and forward it, with a passport sized photograph and the Registration Fee. Riders can aslo register online.

5.16.1 Registration fees for riders from promoting clubs/teams are Youth £5.00, Junior £10.00, Lady £10.00, Senior £20.00.

5.16.2 Registration fees for riders from Non promoting clubs/teams are Youth £10.00, Junior £20.00, Lady £20.00, Senior £40.00.

5.17 Pre entry for League Races shall be restricted to Registered Riders.

5.18 Each Affiliated Club shall be entitled 2 (two) riders in each race. (See By-Law 5.6 for Promoting Clubs).

The point 5.13 is the bit that got me thinking.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,207
    Leagues are a bit different, you generally have to ride for a club that are members of the league but generally you can ride anywhere in the country.
  • Dess1e
    Dess1e Posts: 239
    Also if the event isn't EOL only, check with the organiser that there is space available for riders to enter on the line. Closed circuits are normally ok in this respect.
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    There are plenty of good races near enough to you to not need to drive 1 hour + to race. But if you do want to go further away from home to race use the BR thread for race venue reviews as a good guide of what to expect - viewtopic.php?f=40041&t=12842398
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • saprkzz
    There are plenty of good races near enough to you to not need to drive 1 hour + to race. But if you do want to go further away from home to race use the BR thread for race venue reviews as a good guide of what to expect - viewtopic.php?f=40041&t=12842398

Thanks, I have been looking through that post, do you race much at the bowl? (are you with Team MK?) My club have said to come up to the bowl, but its the 3/4 race which puts me off, I feel i need a nice wide car circuit to start off with lol :lol: :roll:
  • danlikesbikes
    Yep race at the bowl quite a bit..... OK a lot, though not so much last year. Wouldn't worry about the mix of riders for 3/4, if you come down to race in the week on a Thursday night we run the 1/2 & 3/4 together but within a few laps you find there are two main groups anyway so you don't really see the others unless they are lapping you.

As for the 3/4 you tend to find these split pretty quickly too & you will end up in a group with the other cat 4 riders. The circuit is pretty wide to be fair & as the circuit has a few options of direction and extra loops does keep things fresh.

MKCA are responsible for organising most of the races and ask that local teams come down to marshall which I have done quite a bit. If you looking at the the Saturday races its only a few weeks till the mid week start too - http://www.mkca.org.uk/?q=events

Did the Saturday race a few years ago and really enjoyed it even if it was a bit windy and the 3/4 group split within the first lap!!!!!!!

Plus you can check with your club if they support the MKCA training sessions they do in the week before the race?
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • saprkzz
    Excellent, thanks I will see you there soon then hopefully and wont be put off by the fact its a 3/4, I know a lot of people that race there regaually, and yes my club does ride the training sessions there, they were there last night so i hear. I will be up there on the next one. Thanks again.
  • danlikesbikes
    Won't be there for a while myself sadly. I had planned the first Saturday races which mark the beginning of the season but we are in the middle of a house move so have the bikes in storage (I'm crying on the inside).

You will have a blast racing there even if I am a bit biased, the main road is a simple circuit that goes around the inner field where the bands play and there are 2 extra parts that can be added in but think on the weekend only the one smaller loop could be added in.

I found this on Youbtube - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2YSahwzxO4 which should give you a better idea.

As for the training sessions they are pretty good as you can get into a good group and learn the circuit, where to attack & how to place yourself in a group.

I'm sure you'll enjoy the race its all a learning experience.