UK clothing / components?

jamesvlyall
jamesvlyall Posts: 6
edited March 2013 in Road beginners
New to road cycling and I'm keen to support UK industry, can anyone recommend some companies that manufacture / source from the UK?
Already got myself a bike, but would like some shoes / jerseys / tights very soon..

Any further suggestions on component manufacturers would be a bonus too!
Thanks!

Comments

• team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    http://www.shuttvr.com/

cycling clothing made in the UK.
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,807
    First post and this is the subject. Sounds like a marketing survey...
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    I thought it sounded like a terribly insular English thing to ask, so thought it was genuine! :D

Why just the UK? What's wrong with supporting europe, no don't answer that...
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • Nah just genuinely want to support UK brands / industry. Started reading up on stuff and shopping around and found a distinct lack of UK stuff. That Donhou looks amazing though
  • It was actually Donhou's back story that led me to want UK gear, and when I got my first (British Steel) bike I noticed that most components are Asian / Euro manufactured
  • thegreatdivide
    Just checking ;-)

When the majority of the best kit comes from Italy (face it :lol:) you're probably limited to a frame, a leather saddle and some hubs. Rapha do some jerseys via their Imperial Works line that are 100% made in Scotland from Scottish sheep, but along with Shutt, Endura, Torme etc their material and things like bib pads will come from abroad.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    AFAIK There are some traditional made touring type shoes made in UK, but never seen anything more sporty.

Component wise, apart from a number of framebuilders, it gets pretty limited once you get past Hope, Royce, Middleburn, Pace and Brooks.

There's also Carradice for bags and panniers
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Got carradice and hope flagged for future purchases! Cheers guys.

If only someone made competitive derailleurs! Are there any wheel / rim ones anyone knows of?
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Middleburn chainsets are the only UK source of transmission parts AFAIK - no gears, though.

Royce make hubs and BBs but no UK-made rims
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Cheers Monty Dog you have been a real help!
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Rapha do some jerseys via their Imperial Works line that are 100% made in Scotland from Scottish sheep, but along with Shutt, Endura, Torme etc their material and things like bib pads will come from abroad.

Most of Shutts fabric is made in Lancashire textile mills. There's still a fair bit of fabric made here.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Lycra-Byka
    Lycra-Byka Posts: 292
    Endura are a uk brand, made here too I belive?
  • thegreatdivide
    Rolf F wrote:
    Rapha do some jerseys via their Imperial Works line that are 100% made in Scotland from Scottish sheep, but along with Shutt, Endura, Torme etc their material and things like bib pads will come from abroad.

Most of Shutts fabric is made in Lancashire textile mills. There's still a fair bit of fabric made here.

Shutt 'source' a lot of their fabric in the UK i.e. they buy it in - but not from UK manufacturers:

Jerseys are made from Merino Perform Sportwool - Australia
    Lycra from Miti - Italy
    Pads from TMF - Germany

I would hazard a guess that a few parts like zips etc come from the Far East.

The kit is then assembled here.
  • USE make some components, but not an entire drivetrain. Not sure where they make them, though.

P.S. I must second Carradice. Brilliant kit.