Raynauds disease

Does anyone else have this? Been diagnosed with it a few weeks back. Basically it is thinning or restriction of the veins in the hands and feet, preventing much blood circulating, therefore making the areas extremely cold. I have to wear 3 pairs of socks, including sealskins, and overshoes, and my feet still get cold! It is just about bearable, but it's sapping most of the enjoyment out of riding. My hands are the same, but I can usually warm the up by flexing/moving them whilst on a flat easy bit. Still, have two pairs of gloves on there too!

Any advice anyone? I've been using deepheat on my toes, but it has had little effect really. Plus it stinks.

Comments

• styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    Don't fasten your shoes to tight
  • fridgehq
    fridgehq Posts: 54
    I too suffer with Raynalds its not nice but I have learned to cope with it. The secret is BASE layers in the winter I wear bam base layer bam long sleeved top over that with a fleece it works wonders you will find if you do not wear things to protect the core you are wasting your time with gloves or socks no matter how good they are.

hope this helps Mick
  • kathg
    kathg Posts: 142
    Hi, I've suffered with this all my life so I sympathise :cry: . The key in my experience is to NEVER start an outdoor riding session with cold hands/feet because, as you'll no doubt know, once they've gone white and claw-like it's hell of a job getting them to warm up and then there's the agony of 'hotaches'. So, get them really hot before you put your gloves and shoes on.. full fan on max temp in the car does the trick for me! Don't wear multiple layers of glove, sock etc as any restriction of movement will make them cold. I use goretex socks and sealskinz winter gloves which does seem to work. I have to say that switching from clipped in to flat pedals made a big difference as you can move your feet around more easily and the 5.10 shoes are very warm and padded. Try to avoid taking gloves off once they are on (I get out of any puncture/repair jobs when out in winter - My lovely partner does it). It seems to be exposure to wind which is worse than still, dry cold type conditions. My nightmare is: temp close to freezing, rainy and windy!!
    Good luck and hope you can learn to manage this condition, it shouldn't spoil your riding long term!

Kathg