Cannondale SL2 or SL3

Manclad
Manclad Posts: 3
edited March 2013 in MTB buying advice
Noob here

Looking at getting into a bit of mountain biking and after reading a lot on here I think my mind is set on an SL2 or 3 fron Paul's Cycles - 2011 models. There is only £50 difference but being new to the game I'm not sure whether the £50 extra is worth the better components on the sl2.

I'm looking to get on trails at the weekend mainly but nothing mega difficult. Not to start with anyway. Can anyone help.

I know for the budget most would recommend the rockrider or something 2nd hand off ebay but prefer new and in case I don't get into it as much as I intend the cannondale name seems to hold value a bit more when selling.

http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/products.p ... 1b0s2p3694

http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/products.p ... 1b0s2p3695

Thanks.

Comments

• EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
    I had the SL3 - solid bike, and that's a good price for it. The 2011 models are definitely better specced than the 2012 equivalents.

The main difference between the two is the fork on the SL2 is the air version of the RST Deuce, and the SL3 has the coil version. Although the coil version works ok, it is sort of coil/elastomer hybrid, and it weighs a ton. I'd expect (though am not certain) that the air version will weigh a fair bit less, and will offer a bit more adjustability. You will need to purchase a shock pump for it, but I notice Paul's have deals on these if you buy with the bike. The fork was the first thing I replaced on the bike after about 6 months of riding.

Other slight differences include SLX over Deore (shifters and rear mech) and a slightly more expensive cassette on the SL2. SLX is a bit nicer in my opinion. Also the hubs are different. I've never had the Shimano's on the SL2, though others will be able to comment as I think they're pretty common. The Formulas were solid and never let me down.

The other thing I'd say is that the stock tyres are a bit rubbish, so if you can replace them asap then do.

I'd say the extra £50 is worth spending if you can, but you'll be happy with either.
  • Manclad
    Manclad Posts: 3
    Great response - thank you. So the difference between the two is more than the £50 I suppose once you factor the pump in so about £70.
  • EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
    Yep, something like that. Perhaps a bit less. You may also want to think about replacing the pedals too, as I think they will both come with horrible plastic ones.

Wellgo MG1s/Superstar Nanos/CarbonCycles (the latter two are the same with different branding) are the usual choices for flats.