Gear cable ferrule

thelonegroover
thelonegroover Posts: 1,073
edited March 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
I’ve been used to having full gear cable outer. However, my new bike has the exposed gear cable routed down the main tube. I don’t like the way the cable bends from the top of the main tube to the shifter. It appears as though a better fitting ferrule may help to straighten the cable. Any thoughts welcome.
Planet X Kaffenback 2
Giant Trance X2
Genesis High Latitude 2x10
Planet X n2a
Genesis Core 20

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    which side shifter?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Jagwire cable ends are longer than many and quite stiff, but most do that and most fon't cause an issue to be honest!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • thelonegroover
    I’ve been used to having full gear cable outer. However, my new bike has the exposed gear cable routed down the main tube. I don’t like the way the cable bends from the top of the main tube to the shifter. It appears as though a better fitting ferrule may help to straighten the cable. Any thoughts welcome.

Does which side it's on make any difference. It's the same on both sides.
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • nicklouse
    ok which shifter is going where?

I would say you have ridght shifter doing to that one?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • mrdsgs
    mrdsgs Posts: 337
    your gear cable outer looks too long which is why the outer bends downwards
    Colnago Addict!
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Er, that's not his bike!
  • thelonegroover
    nicklouse wrote:
    ok which shifter is going where?

I would say you have ridght shifter doing to that one?

Yes, the right hand cable, pictured (rear mech) goes to the right hand shifter. I assume this is normal for this type of cable routing.
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • thelonegroover
    Note, this is a Genesis picture, however, my bike is the same.
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • nicklouse
    often better routing can be achived by taking the cables to the other side and then crossing the inners on the down tube.

but again without seeing what you actually have who knows what may be best.
  • thelonegroover
    nicklouse wrote:
    often better routing can be achived by taking the cables to the other side and then crossing the inners on the down tube.

but again without seeing what you actually have who knows what may be best.
    Will this help?...
    http://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/bikes/mou ... itude-2x10
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • thelonegroover
    Jagwire cable ends are longer than many and quite stiff, but most do that and most fon't cause an issue to be honest!

I'll have a look at these. Thanks.
    It's probably me being anal, but this is an example of bad design. I'm sure it wouldn't cost any more to put the guide on at a better angle or make then a bit longer.
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Yeah it is just poor design really.

Play around with some lengths and how that changes things and run it left to right with a downtube cross over if required.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Fairly normal stop location, as Nick says you can try longer outers, or routing them round the headtube to give a different approach, no harm in crossing the exposed cables on the run down the down tube.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.