Bike carrier

rave81
rave81 Posts: 57
edited March 2013 in MTB buying advice
I am looking for a Rear bike carrier which is compatible to Ford Fiesta 5dr Zetec (International model) http://www.ford.com.au/cars/fiesta that can also be used with VW Tiguan http://www.volkswagen.com.au/en/models/tiguan.html.

Please don't recommend roof rack, because my mrs is short, she will have difficulties mounting the bike on the roof rack :).

Comments

• stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    I have recently gone from a roof rack to a tow ball mounted rack. I wanted to change because I have a bad back and a couple of times when I was cold and weary I struggled to get the bike on. Cost me £320 all in (rack was 2nd hand) with number board and electrics and I am so glad I went for it, pull a lever and the rack tilts so you can get into the boot and it doesnt seem to murder the mpg like the roof rack did with 3 bikes on. Only problem is remembering the car is 3 feet longer, luckily it was only a hedge :oops:
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Roof rack and a small stepladder.
    Or stop abusing the wife and load your own bike.
    Lazy farker.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • rave81
    stubs wrote:
    I have recently gone from a roof rack to a tow ball mounted rack. I wanted to change because I have a bad back and a couple of times when I was cold and weary I struggled to get the bike on. Cost me £320 all in (rack was 2nd hand) with number board and electrics and I am so glad I went for it, pull a lever and the rack tilts so you can get into the boot and it doesnt seem to murder the mpg like the roof rack did with 3 bikes on. Only problem is remembering the car is 3 feet longer, luckily it was only a hedge :oops:

Tow bar is a good idea, however having it fitted our 2 cars in Australia it will cost total of $3,000.
  • stubs
    rave81 wrote:
    stubs wrote:

Tow bar is a good idea, however having it fitted our 2 cars in Australia it will cost total of $3,000.

:shock: Aus$3,000 is £2026 What the hell are they made of gold. The fella who did mine charged me £200 for the towball plus electrics supplied and fitted, £12 for the number board and £8 for some ratchet straps. The rack cost me £90 off ebay plus a tenner in juice to go and get it. Admittedly it is an Astra and all the electrics are already there for a towball you just need to plug it into the loom in the boot, wire in an indicator buzzer and drill 6 holes in the boot floor but Aus$3000 is taking the mick. It took the fitter an hour to do the job whilst I had a frothy coffee and a bacon butty in a cafe.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • 1UPUSA...best bike rack I've ever had!
  • rave81
    stubs wrote:
    rave81 wrote:
    stubs wrote:

Unfortunately, everything here in Australia are very expensive and overpriced compared to EURO and North American.
    :shock: Aus$3,000 is £2026 What the hell are they made of gold. The fella who did mine charged me £200 for the towball plus electrics supplied and fitted, £12 for the number board and £8 for some ratchet straps. The rack cost me £90 off ebay plus a tenner in juice to go and get it. Admittedly it is an Astra and all the electrics are already there for a towball you just need to plug it into the loom in the boot, wire in an indicator buzzer and drill 6 holes in the boot floor but Aus$3000 is taking the mick. It took the fitter an hour to do the job whilst I had a frothy coffee and a bacon butty in a cafe.
  • stubs
    Unfortunately, everything here in Australia are very expensive and overpriced compared to EURO and North America

Is there some legal thing where it has to be fitted by a licensed installer and the car retested. I did some quick research and Aussie prices dont seem too bad if you compare wages and everything rather than exchange rates. A towbar for a Holden Commodore A$590 supplied and fitted in Sydney is one price I came across, sounds like your garage wants to rape your wallet.