Castell Coch, Fforest Fawr, The Ridgeway - Cardiff

msp1
msp1 Posts: 59
edited March 2013 in Routes
Recently rode some of the route from a recent edition of MBR. Started at Fforest Fawr, through Fforestganol, through the golf club onto the Ridgeway to the Maenllwydd pub. So far so good. From here headed in the direction of Draethen and into a little wood with a great single track skirting an old quarry.

From here on things went downhill, retraced route to the pub and headed into Rudry. In Rudry took a bridleway that led to Rudry Mountain. For me this was hike a bike. After descending the mountain on the other side got a bit lost and gladly bumped into some local riders who I rode with back to my start point, albeit retracing my route back along the Ridgeway. They did comment that MBR had me doing the route in the wrong direction :mrgreen:

Has anyone got a better route for this area. Looking for a circular that'll take up to 3 hours with some good single track off the bridleways. Any suggestions welcome.

Comments

• welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    check out: www.halfwayupmtb.com

they're the local club that rode with mbr for that feature :D
  • jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    Doing it the way round that mbr shows, at Rudry Common you should have followed the clearly defined (but ludicrously muddy) bridlepath on the Eastern side on the hill (with the hill to your right) until you reached the carpark and then joined the road to go west to find the next right turning off the road, about 750m further on.

Sounds like you went over the hill instead, so you'd already gone wrong at that point.

Some nice riding on the other side of the taff - this little loop is worth doing, and can eaily by joined up with castell coch/ forest ganol (look down the page for my second route up to pentyrch, but then follow the rest of the first route over the Garth and back down the very nice singletrack descent):
    viewtopic.php?f=10014&t=12889460