Broken Bottom Bracket shell?

Camcycle1974
Camcycle1974 Posts: 1,356
edited March 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,

My mate has cracked the BBshell on his Lapierre Zesty. Does anyone know of a company who could repair it or is it a write-off? Apparantly this is a known problem with Lapierre's but the bike is just out of warranty (of course!)

Cheers for any pointers

Comments

• Levi_501
    Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
    Alloy or carbon

Can he not at least get a discount on a new frame?

At a quick guess; alloy, get it welded up or if it is carbon you could talk to a company like Loctite and ask if it could be glued. Then slap some fibreglass body filler round it for reinforcement. Just a auditroy thoughts, might not be the best.

I would really push for a new frame or at least a significant discount on a new one.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    How old is it, sales of goods act may trump the warranty on that.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Thanks for replies. it's alloy. Will mention sale of goods act to him. The mechanic at the LBS has said its unrepareable but I wanted to get a second opinion for him. Welding it might be an option if Lapierre fail to come up with the goods.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Need to see it really before can give opinion. Any photos?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    How old is it
    Before 'mentioning it' clarify if it does apply and then do more than mention it!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • lapierre should warranty it for a front half replacement, may take a week or two, if theyve got one,
    happened to a guy i used to ride with after his lbs fitted a road bb to it as they couldnt get hold of a mtb one, is Fractionally larger 1/2mm springs to mind, but was enough to crack the frame!!
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481
  • Lagrange
    Lagrange Posts: 652
    ...remind me not to go to that lbs.