Ludgershall 4th Cat - Sat 2nd March - How to enter?

cojones
cojones Posts: 131
edited March 2013 in Amateur race
Hi,

I'd like to enter the 4th Cat at Ludgershall this Saturday and emailed the address given, for Darren Clarke, however I got an automated reply saying that the internet in his new house won't be connected until Monday 5th March and that I should send car details, BC membership, race licence details etc by text to him. Unfortunately he didn't supply a mobile number!

Can anyone PM me Darren's mobile number please?

I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks,

Matt

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    entry on the day only, according to the BC website

https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/event ... r-Series-8
  • cojones
    Thanks but in order to gain entry to the Army base you need to register your car details, etc. Darren needs to let the guardhouse know to expect your car. His auto email specifically requests this info by text message.
  • cojones
    I have it now. Thanks.
  • TakeTurns
    TakeTurns Posts: 1,075
    Good luck, would be nice if you report back on how the race went!
  • joe.90
    joe.90 Posts: 171
    I wouldn't worry too much, I forgot to mail him with my details twice and it wasn't a problem..
  • saprkzz
    saprkzz Posts: 592
    Good luck in the race, report back. I would like to race there.
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    I just turn up every year and they let me in
  • cojones
    Did it this morning, really enjoyed it. Dry but cold and sheltered from the worst winds. A couple of tight bends but two long straights. Surface was a little 'cracked' but nowhere near as bad as I was led to believe.

As a C5 paracyclist I went along for the experience and after managing to cling on to the bunch doing 27mph for 3 laps, I eventually got dropped and lapped. I therefore rode 95% of the race on my own and still managed an average above 19mph, which I am happy with.

It was a good experience although given the above I didn't get much exposure to bunch riding at speed. Maybe next time I'll use my CF 12lbs bike rather than my 24lbs winter 'tank' and I may be able to cling on for another couple of laps!

Cheers, Coj
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    cojones wrote:
    It was a good experience although given the above I didn't get much exposure to bunch riding at speed. Maybe next time I'll use my CF 12lbs bike rather than my 24lbs winter 'tank' and I may be able to cling on for another couple of laps!

I'd keep trying, if you were with them for 3 laps, it's quite likely that you're plenty strong enough to be with them for the race, just not experienced enough. Unless you're actually very good at bunch skills. Try a few more times and just aim to stay on for longer - the beginning also tends to be the hardest part until the very end.
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • DavidJB
    First 3/4 laps are the hardest. I doubt they were doing 27MPH though??
  • cojones
    DavidJB wrote:

That's not average speed. Averages for laps 1-3 were 24.3, 23.9 and 22.9. However my garmin clocked over 27mph at various points of the first few laps, which is what I was referring to.

I will persevere though, try to hang on for longer, etc
  • AK_jnr
    AK_jnr Posts: 717
    Would you recommend it as a venue for a first race?
  • DavidJB
    cojones wrote:
    DavidJB wrote:

That's not average speed. Averages for laps 1-3 were 24.3, 23.9 and 22.9. However my garmin clocked over 27mph at various points of the first few laps, which is what I was referring to.

I will persevere though, try to hang on for longer, etc

Yeah sorry didn't mean to come across as pedantic. Glad you had a good race. And Yeah AK_jnr its decent enough for the first race.
  • cojones
    DavidJB wrote:

Yeah sorry didn't mean to come across as pedantic. Glad you had a good race. And Yeah AK_jnr its decent enough for the first race.

I agree. It's not a technical circuit although the bends are a little tight.
  • Monkeh
    Monkeh Posts: 6
    It's been my first year racing and I've been heading down to Ludgershall for the past 5 weeks or so. Definitely give it another crack, a lot is technique; if you can stay near the front of the pack you'll save a lot of energy as you'll be braking / accelerating at the back a lot more.

@AK_jnr: Once you're comfortable, you can take the corners as fast as you want and still pedal through them. It was even snowing there one weekend without any issues. Just watch out for the dodgy track seams on the far corner; they're pretty deep. It's been a great track for learning the ropes on.
  • saprkzz
    saprkzz Posts: 592
    Does anyone know if races continue through the summer here?
    I had a look on BC road event but cant find any more than the army series
  • DavidJB
    saprkzz wrote:
    Does anyone know if races continue through the summer here?
    I had a look on BC road event but cant find any more than the army series

Normally there is a summer series on a Tuesday night.
  • tjkey17
    tjkey17 Posts: 69
    Summer series was a monday night last year I seem to remember, but yeah 99% there will be a summer series too
  • cojones
    Did my second Ludgershall today. Conditions were awful, lots of surface water and a patch of oil on the apex of one bend. I did better than last week, clinging on for 5 laps before being dropped and 'only' being lapped twice. After starting at the front I fell to near the back of the pack and the concertina sprinting took it's toll on me and I simply couldn't keep up. Again, good experience and next time I'll try to keep toward the front of the bunch to avoid getting killed by the constant sprinting to keep up. I'm not sure I'll do it again next week as I'm not getting the race experience I want as I can't keep up with the able bodied riders.

I'm itching to do my first para race in two weeks time as that will give me a benchmark of the range of capabilities I'm up against. There's a gulf between me and the able bodied 4th Cats.
  • DavidJB
    cojones wrote:
    Did my second Ludgershall today. Conditions were awful, lots of surface water and a patch of oil on the apex of one bend. I did better than last week, clinging on for 5 laps before being dropped and 'only' being lapped twice. After starting at the front I fell to near the back of the pack and the concertina sprinting took it's toll on me and I simply couldn't keep up. Again, good experience and next time I'll try to keep toward the front of the bunch to avoid getting killed by the constant sprinting to keep up. I'm not sure I'll do it again next week as I'm not getting the race experience I want as I can't keep up with the able bodied riders.

I'm itching to do my first para race in two weeks time as that will give me a benchmark of the range of capabilities I'm up against. There's a gulf between me and the able bodied 4th Cats.

Might be off this week looking at the forecast.
  • AK_jnr
    AK_jnr Posts: 717
    When/how would you find out if its off? I'm planning on racing there tomorrow and i'll be leaving early.
  • joe.90
    joe.90 Posts: 171
    weather has to be pretty dramatic to stop racing there. the 1st round of the year was pissing down...

they have only cancelled 1 or 2 due to the snow.