Advice on light tubes

uzapuca
uzapuca Posts: 103
edited February 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi guys,
I am not sure if a lighter tube is really worth it or not. The question is if durability is really compromised because of the lighter weight or the technology is as good as the heavier tube.

I a big fan of Schwalbe. I have this model for my MBT / Commuter hybrid bike

Schwalbe 28 inch Tube 19
https://www.bike24.net/1.php?product=9035;prev=9035;page=3;content=8;navigation=1;menu=1000,2,103,107

they keep the air quite good and haven't had any trouble in quite sometime. Weight is on the heavier side: 220 grams.

This option looks tempting

Schwalbe Extralight 28 Inch Tube SV19A
http://www.bike24.com/1.php?content=8;n ... oduct=9042

weight: 140 grams.

What do you think? Any thoughts?

Best,
S

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    What tyre size are you running, as those are roady tubes.

I run 26 x 1.0-1.5 Schwalbe tubes in mine (upto 2.25") 125g and am still using the ones I fitted 2 years ago, 1 pinch flat (hit a skateboard - yes really - in the dark) and one thorn (over 1/2" long).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • uzapuca
    What tyre size are you running, as those are roady tubes.

I run 26 x 1.0-1.5 Schwalbe tubes in mine (upto 2.25") 125g and am still using the ones I fitted 2 years ago, 1 pinch flat (hit a skateboard - yes really - in the dark) and one thorn (over 1/2" long).

thanks for the fast reply. I run Schwalbe Big Apple 700c x 2.0" (930 grams) on the front and Schwalbe Marathon dureme 28 x 1.60" (550 grams) on the back.

What are roady tubes? tubes for fast road bikes? the box of the Light Tube says upt to 60-622 (28 x 2.35). I guess that is not a road size of tyre.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    700c is a road bike size, although a mountain bike 29er has the same diameter rim. Neither the big apple nor dureme would normally be considered mountain bike tyres, more trekking (dureme) or Urban bike (BA).

(road bike - like you'd see on the tour de france)
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • uzapuca
    700c is a road bike size, although a mountain bike 29er has the same diameter rim. Neither the big apple nor dureme would normally be considered mountain bike tyres, more trekking (dureme) or Urban bike (BA).

(road bike - like you'd see on the tour de france)

Thanks for the tip. Sorry if i am too newbie on this but does the external tyre model has some relation with the inner type of tube i can use? So far with the regular Schwalbe tube SV19 it has been great no flats in 2 years. I run on roads but many time on off road conditions. I don't know if going lighter with the tube is really a considerable gain.