The trend continues: Burds name for groupsets

DonDaddyD
DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
edited March 2013 in Commuting chat
The trend continues.

Shimano have decided to replace its entry level 2300 groupset with a new one called 'Claris'. Now while 2300 was and is an uninmaginative name, it ain't f*cking 'Claris', which is a burds name and wouldn't look out of place on a pink Pashley.

What pisses me off is that with bikes being sold at extortionate prices these days, should I ever buy a new one I will likely be in Claris's price range and there is no way, no f*cking way, I am riding a bike with a groupset called Claris.

And before you grumble bums step on my dick. When I buy a car I don't want it to be called Beverly or Miriam. I want a collection of aggressive sounding numbers and letters 205 GTI, XR2, ZR8, MX5 or Mazda 6.

My trainers are called Air Max, Air Force One's, Superstars, Decades. They are not called 'Sheba' or Clare.

We all know Campags Athena should have been ZEUS or Hades or Ares. But you all shouted me down, so here we are. Burd's name or Burd sounding names on our Groupsets. See this is where being all liberal and turning a blind eye to Athena gets you.

Dis-f*cking-cuss.
Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game

Comments

• msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    What's a groupset anyway?
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    edited February 2013
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    205 GTI
    OK
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    XR2
    OK
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    ZR8
    Thats a fucking treadmill (yeah yeah, I know - but I ask you what comes up first in Google!)
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    MX5
    Hairdresser, but drives ok
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Mazda 6
    Want to Zoom Zoom? Really? MTFU.

But still, it offers both a "compact 46/34T" and is "said to work best with Shimano's HG50 8-speed 11-32T cassette". Should we warn Balham Hill?
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • DonDaddyD
    msmancunia wrote:
    Poke fun all you want but there is a reason why men get bikes called:

Tarmac and Roubaix

Amira, Ruby, Dolce
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    DonDaddyD wrote:

And before you grumble bums step on my dick. When I buy a car I don't want it to be called Beverly or Miriam. I want a collection of aggressive sounding numbers and letters 205 GTI, XR2, ZR8, MX5 or Mazda 6.

I see what you did there - living the dream! Claris is bad I must admit. Don't mind Athena though, she's a goddess at the end of the day - who doesn't like a goddess?!
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    msmancunia wrote:

In female terms, it's like kitchen utensils and post and pans. Individually they're not very useful, but when all working together it'll allow you to make a nice roast dinner for your bloke

:wink:
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    kelsen wrote:
    msmancunia wrote:

In female terms, it's like kitchen utensils and post and pans. Individually they're not very useful, but when all working together it'll allow you to make a nice roast dinner for your bloke

:wink:
    FTW.
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • Widgey
    Widgey Posts: 157
    Doesn't sound technical enough, its nice to see peoples bemused look when you say Ultegra 6600.
  • DonDaddyD

But still, it offers both a "compact 46/34T" and is "said to work best with Shimano's HG50 8-speed 11-32T cassette". Should we warn Balham Hill?

Great,

Balham Hill is gonna plagued with by 'Nodders, The Next Generation' all spinning on the 34/32T gear up Balham Hill.

You can't go all Contador or Armstrong while riding Claris.

SRAM got it right: Apex, Rival, Force and Red.

Shimano are OK from Tiagra (which makes you think Tiger - the baddest animal in the Jungle) onwards.

Campag: Veloce is a great name for a groupset, Centaur not so much, Chorus is superb, Record and Super Record mind blowing, I hear that and I get tingly down there - and that's what a Groupset name should do. F*cking Claris and Athena, what the f*ck...

All the electonic groupset names are sensible: EPS and Di2 and Ui2. Great names, could go on the back of a car they could.
    Food Chain number = 4

• DonDaddyD wrote:
    When I buy a car I don't want it to be called Beverly or Miriam.

How about Portia?
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,929
    Does your bike not have a burds name?

Karen?

Oh. I get it now. You like a burd with male bits.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Ian.B
    Ian.B Posts: 732
    Oh dear, it gets worse - ClariS is "a Japanese pop music duo and idol unit consisting of [first year junior] high school girls Clara and Alice from Hokkaido.... In order to put a priority on their schoolwork, ClariS have not released photos of themselves to the public and employ illustrators to draw their likenesses. When drawn, Clara is depicted wearing pink items, and Alice is shown wearing blue items. Images of the crescent moon are used as a motif to represent Clara, and the sun is used to represent Alice, which comes from their personal preferences. Clara is shown with slightly wavy hair and no bangs, while Alice is drawn with straight hair with bangs. To further preserve their anonymity, Clara and Alice have not told anyone they know (aside from their families) that they debuted as music artists. Both admit that they are otaku, and have taken an interest in anime and anime music. Clara says that she keeps her otaku interests a secret from others at school, and Alice has called herself a Disney otaku." (Wikipedia):

PV_ClariS_-_Connect_DVD_pub.jpg
  • Ian.B
    Ian.B Posts: 732
    Does your bike not have a burds name?

Karen?

Oh. I get it now. You like a burd with male bits.

Well remembered :lol:
  • vermin
    vermin Posts: 1,739
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    When I buy a car I don't want it to be called Beverly or Miriam.

How about Portia?

:lol: Very good.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Claris?

All depends how you say it...

hannibal.jpg
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    edited February 2013
    He's in denial. I wonder when he'll announce the op....... :lol:

Looks like they've got Chain Reaction to design the packaging......

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gallery/article/shimano-claris-groupset-first-look-36427/9
    Faster than a tent.......
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Shimano are OK from Tiagra (which makes you think Tiger - the baddest animal in the Jungle) onwards.

Campag: Veloce is a great name for a groupset, Centaur not so much, Chorus is superb, Record and Super Record mind blowing, I hear that and I get tingly down there - and that's what a Groupset name should do. F*cking Claris and Athena, what the f*ck...

All the electonic groupset names are sensible: EPS and Di2 and Ui2. Great names, could go on the back of a car they could.

The electronic groupsets are as drearily dully named as the concept. Yes, they could go on the back of a car - they are that unimaginitive. Mind, you are a bit out of date - I had a little go with a new electronic groupset today; Athena EPS :lol:

Google image Chorus and the first thing that comes up is:

chorus.gif

How tough and manly is that?!

Tiagra - oh, that'll be that macho little Vauxhall!

tigerbonnie034.jpg

However, credit where it's due, DDD has a point with Claris. This freakishly wierd image crops up first if you search Claris :shock: There are some wierd people in the world to create these......

ClariS.jpg
    Faster than a tent.......
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    Claris makes me recall Mac software from decades ago - and today just sounds like a word that's been checked against hundreds of languages to ensure that it doesn't translate as w@nker. At least Tiagra conjures up (for me at least) images of large cats. Did Ford's naming of some of their cars after top shelf magazines boost or hinder sales?
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    [...]
    We all know Campags Athena should have been ZEUS or Hades or Ares. [...]

Reminds me of
    greek_mythology_pie_chart.jpg
  • DrLex wrote:
    Claris makes me recall Mac software from decades ago

Yes - wasn't Claris the dog-cow from the printing dialogue?
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    DrLex wrote:
    Claris makes me recall Mac software from decades ago

Yes - wasn't Claris the dog-cow from the printing dialogue?

<geek mode>No, that was clarus- SFX:moof! Claris was the spin-off company from Apple that produced ClarisWorks (formerly AppleWorks), and became FileMaker. Defunct for 15 years now.</geek mode>
  • Does anyone else here think Don is heading towards leather chaps and bushy mustaches? Just asking....

waaaaay too much over-compensating going on around here
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    Oh dear, this old chestnut again......
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Easy now or you'll all end up like this chap who's taken the whole online thing just a step or twelve to far

BDQfo5iCYAEaZnK.jpg

Anyone else think he looks like Russell Brand? also he has a lot of ammo and a very odd dark patch of skin at the groin :roll: :shock: :o:( :? :cry:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,297
    I did see that and think that Russell Brand had put on weight.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Veronese68 wrote:

Yeh but best not to say anything he has gun(s) :shock:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,297
    itboffin wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:

Yeh but best not to say anything he has gun(s) :shock:
    I think it's best to be very polite to a lunatic with guns, why on earth were you looking at his groin?
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    Claris - awful name for a groupset, but the gruppo itself looks ok. Wonder what price point it'll be at...
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    mroli wrote:
    Claris - awful name for a groupset, but the gruppo itself looks ok. Wonder what price point it'll be at...

+infinity

Proper shifters below sora level, I'll have some of that. Be good for a cross/race/winter bike or something else that is likely to get crashed.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    is anyone really that arsed what a groupset/ part is called on their bike?

chances are if you have a groupset of 2300 level is has come on the bike from new an will more than likely be replaced with something nicer when it wears out anyways

"double d" why dont cha send Shimano an email an tell them to rename all their sets after animals

top end - Tyrannosaurs - GTI - Extreme - VR6 - Airwolf (nice ring to it dont you think?)

lower end - Honey Badger

there wont be many people who will want a groupset called "honey Badger" so lbs will make a fortune in upgrades, an in doing so will save the countries money issues

pah i should be finance minister
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    mudcow007 wrote:
    is anyone really that arsed what a groupset/ part is called on their bike?

chances are if you have a groupset of 2300 level is has come on the bike from new an will more than likely be replaced with something nicer when it wears out anyways

"double d" why dont cha send Shimano an email an tell them to rename all their sets after animals

top end - Tyrannosaurs - GTI - Extreme - VR6 - Airwolf (nice ring to it dont you think?)

lower end - Honey Badger

there wont be many people who will want a groupset called "honey Badger" so lbs will make a fortune in upgrades, an in doing so will save the countries money issues

pah i should be finance minister
    Obligatory
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    itboffin wrote:
    Easy now or you'll all end up like this chap who's taken the whole online thing just a step or twelve to far

BDQfo5iCYAEaZnK.jpg

Anyone else think he looks like Russell Brand? also he has a lot of ammo and a very odd dark patch of skin at the groin :roll: :shock: :o:( :? :cry:

Yeah but he has some sweet guitars too, so after killing everyone he can find he can play some intense soft rock power chords