The 'Grow Your Own' Thread

2»

Comments

• alanjay
    alanjay Posts: 363
    That's for show veg - they are pretty easy to grow just take forever!
  • corriebee1
    corriebee1 Posts: 390
    Leeks have an astonishing germination success rate. Chuck 50 seeds in a pot with some compost and you'll get 45'ish young leeks. Once they're about the thickness of a pencil (hopefully by mid Summer if possible) get them in the ground.

Use a dibber or a bit of a broom handle to create a hole about 6" deep and an inch in diameter, throw in the leek and then just gently water it. You don't need to cover them with soil or compost or anything like that. I use old toilet rolls around them, as it keeps them from getting squeezed by soil falling in but providing your soils not too hard, you don't have to. You want to get em quite deep as it's the good white flesh that comes from the bit in the soil. I've got about 60 in the ground at the moment, and they'll go to seed in the next few weeks, so it's leeks aplenty for the next wee while!
  • FoldingJoe
    FoldingJoe Posts: 1,327
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    FoldingJoe wrote:
    Bizzarely, and I heard that this was the case on a R4 prog sometime last year, our plum tree only fruits every other year.
    Victoria plums? Sounds about right, though if you strip some of the crop well before its ripe you'll help promote a better crop in the lean years. Our plum tree is fantastic, there's nothing quite like the sight of a big bunch of fresh purple plums ripe for the eating.

No double entendres please, its too easy :)

No, they're mine!! ;)

Yes, it is a Victoria plum tree, so will try what you suggested this year.
    Little boy to Obama: "My Dad says that you read all our emails"
    Obama to little boy: "He's not your real Dad"

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,424
    msmancunia wrote:
    anyone had any luck growing leeks? I've never done it but I love them (I only attempt to grow things I like!) but everytime I go past an allotment and see all those leeks poking out of bits of drainpipe it puts me off as a bit of a faff. Do you need to do that or is that just for those guys that show veg?

buy some small leeks with roots on from the greengrocer emporium, plant in holes in ground, leave them to carry on growing, pick and eat some when large, leave some to go to seed, collect seeds, leave leeks in ground and next year they will sprout a family of leeks from the base of the original, when pencil size dig up and separate and transplant using corriebee1's planting method

Easy gardening :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,424
    TGOTB wrote:
    team47b wrote:
    planted ten each of these seeds as earlies so far this year:

tomato seeds up
    courgette seeds up, transplanted to bigger pots
    Aubergine seeds up
    peppers up

globe artichokes (Perennial) about a metre high
    Chillies scotch bonnet (Perennial)
    Sweet potatoes (Perennial)
    Everlasting cabbage, just gets taller as you pick lower leaves will need steps soon!

garlic and leeks are growing themselves, just leave them in.
    For a moment you had me worried that I'd somehow left all my planting too late, then I saw your location!

Anyone had any success growing sweet potatoes in a UK (London) climate?

currently 14-18c (that's min to max) :D

sweet potatoes 'need' about 21-26c for 12 to 16 weeks, probably get away with it in full sun or planted in black bags/tyres to improve heat. It's only a frost that will kill them off.
    my isetta is a 300cc bike