clicking ultegra chainset

pkripper
pkripper Posts: 652
edited February 2013 in Workshop
It's defo the chainset, cos that's the one consistent thing from this bike from the old one where it was the same issue.

Has anyone come across a clicking from a 6700 chainset? It's at the same point in every pedal stroke, inconsistent, and is worse when the bike is dirtier. I'm thinking it's a case of the chainrings moving very slightly and hence pinking, as it doesn't make a noise on wet (and hence lubricated rides). I've whipped the rings off, cleaned, degreased and coppaslipped everything and it goes away and then comes back. Any permanent solutions? I'm not bothered it's critical, I just like a smooth sounding bike!

Comments

• smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Pedals?

Cleats?
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • pkripper
    pkripper Posts: 652
    Nope, neither. The chainset is the only constant item between the two bikes that have made the same noise, so its something in there somewhere.

It's just annoying!
  • laguna
    laguna Posts: 24
    I had the same with a 6600 chainset, cured by stripping down and applying grease (plenty of it) to the contact points between the chainrings, click has not returned. Hope this helps.
  • After working on bikes for some years I found that on some cassettes there is a pick up tooth, it will be most probably slanted and different shaped to the rest. It helps when changing up the cassette to ensure smooth transition. Due to its position and shape every rotation it gives an audible click as it brushes the chain, I have tried and failed to adjust out over the years, SRAM Red seems to be louder than most. See if it is this.