Comments

• tetm
    tetm Posts: 564
    ctrl+f
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,671
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    iPete wrote:
    OT but talking of strava add ons, this is the most interesting so far.. although it doesn't give a score or handicap to share down the driving range..

http://x.raceshape.com/heatmap/
    That's really interesting stuff. Thank's Pete

Have you zoomed out to discover usage outside the UK? Well let's just say that it is particularly popular in the UK.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    rjsterry wrote:
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    iPete wrote:
    OT but talking of strava add ons, this is the most interesting so far.. although it doesn't give a score or handicap to share down the driving range..

That's really interesting stuff. Thank's Pete

Have you zoomed out to discover usage outside the UK? Well let's just say that it is particularly popular in the UK.

Probably looks denser, less roads for all us SCRs!

Also worth a look is the Strava heat map, done by Strava on 20th July.

Roll it back to the start and watch the Dun Run meander through the night! 8)

http://app.strava.com/saturday-heatmap# ... 3|-1.74421
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    tetm wrote:
    ctrl+f

FYI I'm not quick ... so how to find which page I'm on would be more helpful
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • tetm wrote:
    ctrl+f

Time to acquaint yourself with the 'next' button - with any luck you won't have to go to page 47 like I did :lol:
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    iPete wrote:

That is truly a great website. Thanks for sharing.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    gabriel959 wrote:

That is truly a great website. Thanks for sharing.

Me likey.

rides_zps3344f9d2.png
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • perullo
    perullo Posts: 4
    So I managed to hire a bike and had my first go at London cycling on Saturday. I started with a nice ride over to Richmond Park from Liverpool St. London is fantastic on a road bike.
    Once there I jumped into one of the 8-man Saturday morning Dynamo slots. I think it was the #4 slot? Anyway, good group of guys and suited me well. I had to push hard and considered abandoning several times, but made it through. All signs of a good match. I enjoyed getting to see the London cycling scene a bit, take in a few deer, and manage to not kill myself with the reverse brake setup. All in all a great experience.
    Most importantly...
    I now proudly sit in spot 3,870 on the SRanks london list. Yup, there I am on page SEVENTY EIGHT. The "find my ranking" feature is taking a little more priority in my mind!
  • Pufftmw
    Pufftmw Posts: 1,941
    tetm wrote:
    ctrl+f

Time to acquaint yourself with the 'next' button - with any luck you won't have to go to page 47 like I did :lol:

Haha - you're not IT either?!

Its a PHP request & instead of going "next" which requests only the next page number and 50 results, up the number of results returned in the address bar. No of results has no effect on the speed of response. As below...

http://www.sranks.com/new?city=london&p ... r_page=999

Change &page=1 to &page=2 to get the next 999 hits etc etc
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Maybe looks interesting but no Leeds. I wouldn't mind but Sheffield is on there! :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Perullo,i'm sure it's on the cards, but adding a postcode based "segments within x miles of" search would be pretty awesome. I understand you need big population centres first to get critical mass, but to be blunt it's all about the hilly countryside, not just all flat with the ocasional ripple of box hill :)

Anyways, chapeau on putting the effort in :)
  • Pufftmw wrote:
    Haha - you're not IT either?!

Its a PHP request & instead of going "next" which requests only the next page number and 50 results, up the number of results returned in the address bar. No of results has no effect on the speed of response. As below...

http://www.sranks.com/new?city=london&p ... r_page=999

Change &page=1 to &page=2 to get the next 999 hits etc etc

Thanks for that, that's a big help!

It's frustrating with this as so many segments are excluded due to an almost negligable gradient - say -0.5%. Makes it difficult to pick out which segments to go for, especially in segment-rich areas like the OKR. And yes, I know it's sad to specifically target specific segments but Strava has basically got to the point where any London KOM under say a mile has been a targetted sprint effort by the KOM - nobody's picking KOMs up just by riding through segments at their normal awesome pace any more.

Anyway, rant over - will have to try and get further afield as it's slim pickings on the Lewisham/New Cross/Deptford corridor. And get faster of course.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134

Anyway, rant over - will have to try and get further afield as it's slim pickings on the Lewisham/New Cross/Deptford corridor. And get faster of course.

There are loads of segments around there - Old Kent Road has several, Amersham Way, Molesworth Hill, Loampit Hill, Deptford Church Street, Brookmill Road. Must be 100 segments you could target on or near that route?
  • Aye, sorry didn't phrase that very well. There are lots of segments but relatively few people on the leaderboards so not that many points on offer. I think the highest-placed segment I score on is the Jamaica Rd sprint and that's probably about 400th on the segment list.

Of course, a few KOMs would obviously make a big difference regardless, but most in that neck of the woods are already taken by some fast guy who I've got little hope of besting :wink:

Edit: anyway, thinking about it, it's a stupid point really. The more people who've ridden a segment, the harder it is to place (generally speaking), so for the same rider the ability to score points probably remains roughly the same regardless of whether he's riding popular segments or not. OK then, looks like getting faster is the best approach, glad we've sorted that out...
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Aye, sorry didn't phrase that very well. There are lots of segments but relatively few people on the leaderboards so not that many points on offer. I think the highest-placed segment I score on is the Jamaica Rd sprint and that's probably about 400th on the segment list.

Of course, a few KOMs would obviously make a big difference regardless, but most in that neck of the woods are already taken by some fast guy who I've got little hope of besting :wink:

Edit: anyway, thinking about it, it's a stupid point really. The more people who've ridden a segment, the harder it is to place (generally speaking), so for the same rider the ability to score points probably remains roughly the same regardless of whether he's riding popular segments or not. OK then, looks like getting faster is the best approach, glad we've sorted that out...
    You need a few late commutes, I clocked 4th quickest on Jamaica Rd Rumble last night just because I left work at 9.30pm and the lights weren't bad. It's 4km long so outside of the short sprinter territory and more down to kind traffic conditions (as most London segments are really)
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • I tend to be quite wound up if I work late too, so likely to push quite hard. It's a fair point, those longer segments you can place very highly just by having a clear run, if your normal commuting speed is getting into mid-20s territory. I had similar once with the Surrey Quays - Deptford one, no reds the whole way and got a podium without any special effort, beyond a bit of SCRing IIRC. Really all it needs is to just use strava every day for a good long stretch and the results will come through natural variance in luck, conditions, SCR, what you can be bov'd to do etc. But I'm a bit of a nerd and like poring over lists and having a plan!
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    I'm doing a team time trial next month and there is talk of a training ride round Richmond Park. Now that could be very helpful!
  • Gah! Had another tilt at Gt Dover St on the way home, looks like it would have been about a 30mph average, certainly good enough for a podium, but the GPS has me going down bloody Tabard St :x

This is why Strava is silly and I don't like it any more.

Ah well, at least I know I've got it in me should I feel up for it again and there's a nice wind out of the NW
  • perullo
    perullo Posts: 4
    Cheers guys -
    So I finally added a "FIND ME" button yesterday morning. It's right up there between the 'previous' and 'next' buttons and will show your ranking and take you to the page it is on. This is all only relevant if you are logged in, of course.

I hear you on the debate about where to make regions, which ones to add etc. Thus far I've added cities by request - thus the odd combos of London, Manchester, Stirling Scotland etc. I added Sheffield to show it to Ben Lowe (Veloviewer) but it looks like a well-ridden area.

I hope to ultimately let people request areas interactively, and automatically set everything up and queue it for me to approve before going live.
  • Pufftmw
    Pufftmw Posts: 1,941
    perullo wrote:
    Cheers guys -
    So I finally added a "FIND ME" button yesterday morning. It's right up there between the 'previous' and 'next' buttons and will show your ranking and take you to the page it is on. This is all only relevant if you are logged in, of course.

I hear you on the debate about where to make regions, which ones to add etc. Thus far I've added cities by request - thus the odd combos of London, Manchester, Stirling Scotland etc. I added Sheffield to show it to Ben Lowe (Veloviewer) but it looks like a well-ridden area.

I hope to ultimately let people request areas interactively, and automatically set everything up and queue it for me to approve before going live.

How about geofencing a postcode or coordinate? 10 miles (or configure) around the point so that a user can lock to their local area?

Tool to enter a UK postcode & get a coordinate - sure there'll be a Zip version somewhere...

http://websemantics.co.uk/online_tools/ ... sion_tool/