Camp Veloce v's Sham Tiagra Shifters???

Col1253
Col1253 Posts: 17
edited March 2013 in Road buying advice
I am looking at upgrading my current shifters to either Campagnolo Veloce or Shimano Tiagra (10 speed required). I would ideally love to put on Shimano Ultegra but I just cant justify the cost!! They are for a project bike that I am building from frame up and am going to be putting on Shimano Ultegra (2nd hand!!) Cassette, Derailleur’s and crank set.

The Campagnolo ones seem to be a good price at the moment (under £90 at Wiggle) and from what I have read, appear to be a better quality than the Tiagra but I am a little concerned as I have heard that you cant mix and match Shimano & Campagnolo, it has to be one or the other.

Any advice out there please??

Comments

• g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    10 speed Veloce shifters will not work with Tiagra 10 speed rear mechs - the indexing will be out as they move different amounts of cable and the cassettes are spaced differently. Google 'Shimergo' for tables of compatible options (eg, 10 speed campag levers working with 8 speed shimano cassette and mech - or 11 speed campag levers working with 9 speed shimano if the cable is attached to the rear mech on the other side of the clamp).

You could get a Jtek Shiftmate to attach to the rear mech to make it work though, they are designed to alter the cable pull appropriately.

Also, you'd need to fit campag gear cable housings - and campag cable inners too (as they have different ends and thicvknesses). These usually come with the levers - but it'll be worth checking.
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    Parker International do the Veloce levers with cables set (inners, outers, ferrules etc) for £81.
  • g00se wrote:

You could get a Jtek Shiftmate to attach to the rear mech to make it work though, they are designed to alter the cable pull appropriately.

Thats what I use with ultegra derailer and cassette - the big thing for me was teh cost, gettng the veloce levers meant not only getting other campag stuff but also a new wheel, and all of my tools were for shimano. The jtek is about the size of a 50p and the shifting with the veloce levers has been the best I've had
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • Col1253
    Thanks guys, something to think about.......just when I thought I had made up my mind!!
  • Col1253
    Bought the Shimano Tiagra in the end :)