Bent hanger....replace or "tweak"

duckson
duckson Posts: 961
edited February 2013 in Workshop
Looks like the hangar on my Boardman is bent, must of happened when i had a slow speed (~5mph) off between xmas and New Year.

http://gdurl.com/XPuX

I haven't ridden it since but since fitting a new gear cable last week (also not ridden since, waiting on another part!) i noticed when in the small chainring/largest sprocket that the derailleur cage was catching the spokes very slightly.

Question is should i replace it or try and bend it straight?
If i replace it can i get any other hanger or is it much more specific?

Bike is a Boardman Team Carbon with SRAM Rival.
Cheers, Stu

Comments

• You could try 'fettling' it, and I've had success doing this in the past. But if you carry on tweaking it to get it exactly right, it will likely snap. The main thing is to make sure you don't end up writing off your wheels by bending it too far the other way!
    Best to do it with a large adjustable rather than pliers so you don't scar it, and do it in a vice - so you don't write off your frame!
    Some hangers are fitted to the frame with a chainring bolt, if this is the case with yours then consider replacing it with an alloy one that is more likely to snap in the event of another crash and so gives your frame a bit more protection (and are cheaper than a new hanger, and easier to carry around as spares!)
    hope this helps, let us know how you get on
    'Pain is just weakness leaving your body'

Charge Duster SS
    GT Zaskar Carbon Expert
    '03 Stumpy HT
    Ribble Sportive Racing
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    fix it.

hangers are frame specific.

when the new arrives fit it and keep that one as a spare.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown