Shock length

pesky_jones
pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
edited March 2013 in MTB buying advice
Very basic question but when buying a shock, the i2i determines whether it will or won't fit? My frame fits a 222mm i2i shock, with 70mm stroke length so will any 222mmm i2i shock fit this regardless of stroke length?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    needs the same stroke.

too much and things might start touching things that they should not. lees stroke is less travel.

so same i2i and stroke.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • pesky_jones
    Cheers nick, the shock I'm looking at - the stroke length has been measured to the bump stop as 2.5"(64mm) but can the bump stop compress giving 70mm travel?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    No.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • nicklouse
    it all depends on the shock.
    measureing is not the best way unless you know how both have been measured.

find out both original specs.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • pesky_jones
    Cheers guys, shame to hear it really it looked like a good deal for the price.
  • nicklouse
    what bike are looking for a shock for?
    and what year?
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Yes, probably. The bump stop is included in the travel measurement, as thats technically still travel, or at least some of it. i.e. Assuming the bumper is 12.7 ish mm (half inch - bloody americans), and you can compress it about half way (6 > 7mm), then its probably a 70mm shock. There are very few (tbh I cant think of any) 222 shocks that aren't 70mm travel as stock, so unless its a weird OEM or custom fit, its almost certainly the right size.

As Niclouse says just measure it, or find out what its off.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • benpinnick
    Edit: Cane Creek do a DB in 222/63 - but that would be shorter than the one you are looking at, so unlikely the model. What shock is it?
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • pesky_jones
    Bike is an orange patriot 7+ (2005) the old shock was manitou swinger 4 way air. The shock I'm looking at is a fox vanilla r piggyback. I was also looking at the CCDB coil second hand as well which I know was 222 x 70
  • pesky_jones
    benpinnick wrote:
    Edit: Cane Creek do a DB in 222/63 - but that would be shorter than the one you are looking at, so unlikely the model. What shock is it?
    I didn't see your comment about the CCDB, when I said "I know" I should of said what I've been told by seller, do they not do 222 x 70?
  • benpinnick
    no, CC also do a 222x70. Fox only doa 70 in 222 (unless its special).
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Out of interest, what's wrong with the manitou shock?

I went the other way from a basic van R to a Manitou Air.
  • pesky_jones
    Out of interest, what's wrong with the manitou shock?

I'm not sure of the problem, the compression still seems to be fine, sag seems ok, its just when it rebounds it jumps straight back to full stroke length with a bang. I've tried adjusting the rebound controls with no luck. I havn't got a clue about shock maintenance or repair and as it costs more to repair then the Van r, and the Van r is in good condition - I figured i'd go for that.
  • pesky_jones

How did u find the change?
  • pesky_jones
    I'm still not sure whether this shock will fit, here is the link to the PB add.

The spring is 2.75" which is 70mm, but stroke measured at 2.5" so is the bump stop hidden and included in the 70mm? My shock at the moment has a visible 70mm travel, does that not also have a bump stop (making it 76-78mm)?

http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/1284086/
  • benpinnick
    His ad is stupid. If its fitted witha 2.75 srping then its either a 2.75 shock or not a 2.75 spring. Anyway, the easy solution (as mentioned before) was to look at what fits the bike it came off... which is a 70mm shock. It will fit.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • mrmonkfinger
    mrmonkfinger Posts: 1,452

How did u find the change?

Very happy with the shock TBH. I have an evolver, not swinger, but I think they're basically the same. Mine has high & low compression adjust which was nice, as I could get the back end matching the front. Also my bike is single pivot and I think it benefits from the rising rate an air spring provides.