Exposure Joystick Mk7 - User error

Benjo74
Benjo74 Posts: 67
edited February 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
I just bought meself a Joystick Mk7 for MTB night riding. I've hired/borrowed them a couple of times and they are just what I needed so I finally decided to push the boat out and get one.

The trouble is, being a bit simple and all, I can't figure out how to determine the different programmes. I looked at the instructions and thought I'd got it, but on my way into work this morning I couldn't for the life of me figure it out.

Can anyone give me idiot-proof instructions? There seems to be 8 programmes, and a High, Medium and Low for each. Basically, I want to be able to use the full on highest power setting for MTB night rides (I think this is the default setting when you first turn it on) and then I think there is a "commute" setting (for commuting) and I can't find the flashing setting. The instructions suggested I hold down the power switch for 3 seconds, but I don't see this having any effect.

Let the abuse commence... :oops:
FCN: 3 on the singlespeed, 4 on the roadie.

Comments

• danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    edited February 2013
    No abuse but the quick start guide says it all really, just need to download it as a pdf - http://www.exposurelights.com/product/0 ... k-mk7-(new)/#.US39oKXfbQc

I have a few of their lights and are generally the same for operation;
    Double Click = on
    Press & hold = off
    Once on to rotate through the programmes = press button once
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • No abuse but the quick start guide says it all really, just need to download it as a pdf - http://www.exposurelights.com/product/0 ... k-mk7-(new)/#.US3qs6XfbQc

I have a few of their lights and are generally the same for operation;
    Double Click = on
    Press & hold = off
    Once on to rotate through the programmes = press button once

And there's my issue - when I hold down to rotate through the programmes, it appears to go through 9 programmes. But the manual/leaflet says there are 8. That's what was confusing me.
    It didn't help that my Q wasn't as clear as it could be.

It also doesn't help that I hid the light/box/instructions and (most important) the receipt from the missus, so I had been trying to figure it out in a rush when she wasn't looking. I know, MTFU, but having just dropped a grand (or £800, as far as she knows) on a new bike, another £130 on a light would light the fuse... :evil:
  • To be honest I don't see the problem, I'm not having a go at you BTW.

You know how to turn it on & off, plus you can cycle through the programmes so know which ones flash & which ones are the brighter ones.

Whats the issue?
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • To be honest I don't see the problem, I'm not having a go at you BTW.

You know how to turn it on & off, plus you can cycle through the programmes so know which ones flash & which ones are the brighter ones.

Whats the issue?

No worries, and it's not a big deal at all - I just saw that there are meant to be 8 programmes, each having a different life on a full charge, and when I played with it I thought I was seeing 9. I'd like to make sure I'm using the brightest (with a run time of 2 hours) for any off road night rides, and I'd use the one recommended for commuting when I commute. Maybe the flashing one when commuting on a lit road.

Other than that, I was just keen to play with my new toy, and I like to know how all the features work. Not important by any means, and nothing that can't be achieved with a little patience and more thorough study of the instructions. I guess I was just being lazy.
  • Guess I was the other way round when I got mine. Only wanted to know on, off & toggle through. A few minutes to read the table with the life expectancy of each so I know what I'm doing. A bit about how to check for charge & what to do when charging.

Up to you on the flash/solid. Personally if its a dark & grey day I tend to put mine on flash (plus on the rear) just so I can be seen have a flash/flare combo for that on the winter bike. But do have the Strada for night time riding which has the dip option & if set up and used properly does not blind other road users.

Good luck with the light it is a good one was contemplating it too.