Changing gear cables

neilrosser
neilrosser Posts: 236
edited February 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Going to be changing inner & outer cables soon. Never tackled this before, I've watched a couple of tutorial vids and it looks simple enough. Is there anything I should be wary of though? :)
Trek Fuel EX8

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Nope, easy job. Stick an old bit of cable in the outer before you cut it to stop it crushing.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • batmo
    batmo Posts: 277
    My old man taught me to use a lighter to heat the inner cable to 'straw' colour at the point you're going to cut it and you get a cleaner cut.
    Viscount Grand Touring - in bits
    Trek ZX6500 - semi-retired
    HP Velotechnik Spirit
    Brompton M6
    Specialized Camber Comp
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Inner isn't normally a problem, and you stick a cap on anyway.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    neilrosser wrote:
    Going to be changing inner & outer cables soon. Never tackled this before, I've watched a couple of tutorial vids and it looks simple enough. Is there anything I should be wary of though? :)
    tryreading the manual for the shifters you have as that might be more helpful than a generic video.

not all sifters are the same.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Levi_501
    Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
    Just cut the end of the outter straight.
  • jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    Take photos before you start, then if you get confused about the run, you can refer back to them. Also as you unthread the old cables, note the position and length of each section of outer - then use them to cut the new outers to length.

Oh, and make sure the shifters are in the "fully out" position before you start, too.
  • Cheers guys :) , these are the little tips I was after :D
    Trek Fuel EX8