First ride on my new Giant Defy 1 2013

CleeRider
CleeRider Posts: 304
edited February 2013 in Road general
Wow, what a difference compared to the mtn bike that I've been on for the last 6 months! Faster, more comfortable and just awesome.

Improved my average speed over the same 15 mile route by 2mph in very similar wind/temperature/conditions as 2 days ago on the mtn bike... 15mph to 17mph in a 15mph wind.

Just need to get used to the gearing - which gear to be in when switching chainrings before a hill. Got it totally wrong and started spinning like a mad man and lost all momentum etc :)

A question for Strava experts out there... having entered my new bike details on Strava, why has my average power gone down from around 215 on the old bike to 116 on today's ride? I feel that I put in the same effort on both rides. Is this figure useful for anything anyway?

Best outcome of all today (though it's probably way too soon to say after only 15 miles)... the pain on my right sit bone (viewtopic.php?f=40013&t=12907517) may have been cured. Same saddle, same cleat positions/pedals but different riding position. Fingers crossed! Longer ride needed.

Comments

• CleeRider wrote:
    A question for Strava experts out there... having entered my new bike details on Strava, why has my average power gone down from around 215 on the old bike to 116 on today's ride? I feel that I put in the same effort on both rides.
    As far as I'm aware, if you've got a bike tagged as a mountain bike, Strava uses a rolling resistance that approximates some sort of off road conditions when estimating your power output, regardless of the surface you're actually on. Consequently, a bike tagged as a mountain bike ridden on the road will end up producing a wildly inflated power estimate.
    CleeRider wrote:
    Is this figure useful for anything anyway?
    In my opinion, no, their power guess is twaddle.
    Mangeur
  • As far as I'm aware, if you've got a bike tagged as a mountain bike, Strava uses a rolling resistance that approximates some sort of off road conditions when estimating your power output, regardless of the surface you're actually on. Consequently, a bike tagged as a mountain bike ridden on the road will end up producing a wildly inflated power estimate.

In my opinion, no, their power guess is twaddle.

Thanks for that info, makes sense now.
  • +1 for the defy! I love mine (same model)
    I've just treated myself to some new wheels for it and can't wait for some dry warm weather to give them a good run out :D
  • I would love to upgrade to one of these, currently riding an ageing Giant OCR which I got as my 1st road bike last year after coming from MTB. Glad to hear they don't disappoint.
  • #david2012 wrote:
    +1 for the defy! I love mine (same model)
    I've just treated myself to some new wheels for it and can't wait for some dry warm weather to give them a good run out :D

Which wheels did you go for? That would be my first upgrade, but not just yet :)

It's funny, I figured I'd use the mtn bike as a wet weather bike (wet and dirty roads - I never ride in the rain) to stop the Defy from getting messed up. But having looked at the mtn bike again today and felt its weight, I don't think I could ride it ever again :) Looks like I'll have to get into the routine of cleaning my bike.
  • Mikey41
    Mikey41 Posts: 690
    Crud Roadracer Mk2 mudguards for the winter. :)
    Giant Defy 2 (2012)
    Giant Defy Advanced 2 (2013)
    Giant Revel 1 Ltd (2013)
    Strava
  • Mikey41 wrote:

Not sure which guards to go for tbh. I'd like enough clearance for 25mm tyres.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    CleeRider wrote:
    Mikey41 wrote:

Not sure which guards to go for tbh. I'd like enough clearance for 25mm tyres.

Well the clearance is set by the bike but if anything will allow 25mm tyres the Cruds are it.

IME they are the thinnest things going so if they will not accomodate 25's I doubt anything will.

This does not mean that other makes will not, just that the cruds give you the best chance.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Mikey41 wrote:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/sks-race-blade- ... guard-set/

These are well worth the money.

I too have a Giant Defy 1, my Defy 2 got nicked.

I bought some wheels recently, Mavic Krysium Elites. Very good road wheels, strong and rolling on the road.
  • MattyDeez wrote:
    I bought some wheels recently, Mavic Krysium Elites. Very good road wheels, strong and rolling on the road.

They look expensive, have they been worth it? I don't know anything about wheels tbh. Looks like they save weight and improve stiffness.
  • stueyboy
    stueyboy Posts: 108
    I posted a question in the workshop section recently looking for suggestions for replacement wheels for my Defy 2. Not sure if I will bother but the Planet X ones suggested do seem like good value.

viewtopic.php?f=40004&t=12907384
  • stueyboy wrote:
    I posted a question in the workshop section recently looking for suggestions for replacement wheels for my Defy 2. Not sure if I will bother but the Planet X ones suggested do seem like good value.

viewtopic.php?f=40004&t=12907384

Thanks for this. What sort of performance improvement can I expect from new wheels? (average speed or other measurement)
  • stueyboy
    stueyboy Posts: 108
    CleeRider wrote:
    Thanks for this. What sort of performance improvement can I expect from new wheels? (average speed or other measurement)

I'm not really sure to be honest. I reckon at the level I'm at, I would be better off losing a few Kg and getting stronger legs, so I'm going to keep at it until the weather improves and see what happens with the standard bike. Be good to hear from others who have experience of this.
  • vfast1
    vfast1 Posts: 98
    CleeRider wrote:
    A question for Strava experts out there... having entered my new bike details on Strava, why has my average power gone down from around 215 on the old bike to 116 on today's ride? I feel that I put in the same effort on both rides. Is this figure useful for anything anyway?

If the new bike is lighter than the old one then you wont use as much power for the same effort. Heavier bike equals more effort. I think! :?
    Winter Road - 2014 Boardman Sport
    MTB - 2012 Canyon Nerve XC 7
    Summer Road - 2012 Cannondale Supersix 105 Liquigas Colours
  • CleeRider wrote:
    #david2012 wrote:
    +1 for the defy! I love mine (same model)

Which wheels did you go for? That would be my first upgrade, but not just yet :)

It's funny, I figured I'd use the mtn bike as a wet weather bike (wet and dirty roads - I never ride in the rain) to stop the Defy from getting messed up. But having looked at the mtn bike again today and felt its weight, I don't think I could ride it ever again :) Looks like I'll have to get into the routine of cleaning my bike.

I picked up some dura ace c24's / gp 4000s tyres and put an ultegra cassette on and very pleased with result! I've only done around 25 miles on them so early days to really compare but feel nicer to ride, definately faster on the flat, quick pick up and look nice too :D
  • 2nd trip out today - 20 miles with more hills (822ft). Smashed lots of Strava segment personal bests on climbs and for the route as a whole. Loving the Defy 1 :)
  • Hi am new to this site , I too had my first ride on defy 1 today unfortunately on my first corner the bike slid out from under me ! Only 5 miles old, bent derailer, torn bar tape torn body! What I would like to know is wether it is because the tyres have no tread on them as I was on all weather armadillo before and had no problem on this mildly wet corner at a faster pace or is it that the tyres are brand new and not bedded in as if they are always going to be that slippery in wet I will have to change them ?
    Thanks Steve
  • Mikey41
    Mikey41 Posts: 690
    Sounds like you over-did it on brand new tyres as I've not found the Giant tyres to be slippery in the wet. Like a car tyre, there will be some releasing agent on the rubber so it can be removed from the mould. This takes a good few miles to get worn off fully and until it does, there won't be as much grip as normal.

The fact that they are slicks has nothing to do with it.
    Giant Defy 2 (2012)
    Giant Defy Advanced 2 (2013)
    Giant Revel 1 Ltd (2013)
    Strava