Titanium vs Carbon Fiber

goonz
goonz Posts: 3,106
edited March 2013 in Road general
Hi all I know this must be done to death on here already, but I tried searching but failed at finding the threads that may have already been discussed on the above topic.

I am hoping to build my own bike deciding on purchasing a frame from the far east and having a go. I have always wanted a CF frame, they look great and will undoubtably be fast, however I am also drawn towards Ti wth its great strength and longevity.

What advice can you give into which frame is better and which I should go for?
Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
Specialized Langster SS for Ease
Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
n+1 is well and truly on track
Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875

Comments

• goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    Thanks a lot, just what I was looking for.
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    I have a great carbon bike that handles likes its on rails, light, great looking and climbs like a demon and can easily handle anything I can throw at it.

Currently purchasing a Van Nic Astreus Ti because I think it will suit my riding style of sportives and long 150mile runs better and also because when I have done timed events on my carbon bike vs my old winter alu bike I see very little difference in time beacuse it aint about the bike.
    Brian B.
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    I have both, and like them each as much as the other, buy what you like the look of the most, Ti won't slow you down, that's for sure.
  • Brian B wrote:
    I have a great carbon bike that handles likes its on rails, light, great looking and climbs like a demon and can easily handle anything I can throw at it.

Currently purchasing a Van Nic Astreus Ti because I think it will suit my riding style of sportives and long 150mile runs better and also because when I have done timed events on my carbon bike vs my old winter alu bike I see very little difference in time beacuse it aint about the bike.

I have an Astraeus, I bought it to go alongside my Trek Madone SL. In nearly two years since I think I've ridden the Trek maybe three times. Enjoy the VN, it's awesome.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    goonz wrote:
    Thanks a lot, just what I was looking for.

Let's hope you are a better cyclist than you are a searcher of forums :lol:
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    "
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    Depends on what you want from a bike and what you'll be using it for. Ti and carbon bikes (well bikes made from any material) have different characteristics, strenghts and weaknesses. However bikes made from the same materials can also feel totally different too, depending on manufacturing process, geometries and the finishing kit involved.

Shortlisting some bikes and getting out for a test ride is the way to go IMO.

I've been riding a Ti bike for the last year and I love it to bits. 99% of the time its every bike I could ever want but when I really want to go balls out I find that it's not as responsive as I'd like and the back end feels like its skipping around when I'm out of the saddle going for it. Climbing is where I really notice it though, the back end just feels a bit numb and woolly.

Dont get me wrong its a cracking bike but sometimes I do miss the Scott CR1 I sold to help fund it. That was just a point and shoot bike that felt very nimble and responsive. I do however remind myself that I'm not in bits after 4-5 hrs in the saddle and the majority of the time the Ti bike serves me well and when I was going through the buying/test ride process last year it was the bike that stood out the most and the one I really wanted. Regardless of its 'flaws' I dont regret my choice.
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    jordan_217 wrote:
    I've been riding a Ti bike for the last year and I love it to bits. 99% of the time its every bike I could ever want but when I really want to go balls out I find that it's not as responsive as I'd like and the back end feels like its skipping around when I'm out of the saddle going for it. Climbing is where I really notice it though, the back end just feels a bit numb and woolly.

It's those silly curved seat stays, my Esprit climbs like a rocket :wink:
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    MattC59 wrote:
    jordan_217 wrote:

It's those silly curved seat stays, my Esprit climbs like a rocket :wink:

You know, I think you're right. Hopefully a dab of CAAD10 will be the perfect remedy :wink:
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    My current stable comprises 2 titanium, 2 carbon and 2 steel bikes. Whilst carbon rules the roost for race bikes, I'm still a sucker for metal. If you're not racing, or a very powerful rider then titanium is great - and on our rotten, potholed roads you appreciate the smoother ride.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..