First Bike Advice - Dreaded Halfords Buyer Centos or Venganc

antiguaman
antiguaman Posts: 13
edited March 2013 in MTB beginners
Looking to buy a first mountain bike (second actually but the last one is around 13 years hold and held together by rust so probably doesnt count)

Ideally just looking at something to ride to and in and around the country park with the kids, so nothing mega expensive or fancy, but something that's reasonable and gonna do the job, and for a budget of around £300, that I'm probably gonna have for a good few years

So obviously I've been attracted by the force to Halfords, and considering the Vengeance at £299 or the Centos currently on a special at £279

Whilst I'm not taken in by the apparent savings of £150 and £320 respectively on their original prices are they really as bad as people say, and is one better than the other - my mind says you get what you pay for so Centos should be better?

Don't really want to go pushing the budget too much as things are tight, but if there is something a bit better that I'd be better to find the extra cash to for a longer term solution then I may be able to stretch it a bit - see the Vulcan gets good reviews

All advice good/bad welcome

Comments

• Can't reply comment on the Carrera's, but I have heard a lot of other members mention the Decathalon Rockrider 5.3 for £299 very well spec'ed for the price.

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/rockrider-53 ... 06682.html
  • zx6man
    zx6man Posts: 1,092
    both my road and mtb are carreras, can't fault them for value, I have the vulcan 2010 which is very much like the centos i think.

My MTB has done a few coast to coasts on trials, so with kids in the park will be fine :-)
  • vulcan is better specced than the centos for a lower rrp :wink:

OP the vengance is currently advertised at full price for £449 so I would be looking at the vulcan for an extra £30 anyway or look at the Voodoo range aswell.
  • vulcan is better specced than the centos for a lower rrp :wink:

OP the vengance is currently advertised at full price for £449 so I would be looking at the vulcan for an extra £30 anyway or look at the Voodoo range aswell.

Cheers

yep online its £449 but in my local store its £299 as was the Centos until they have it on a web exclusive deal ending tomorrow at £279

Thanks
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    At £279 the Centos is a reasonable buy, forget that 'rrp' it's never ever worth that, nor would they sell any at that, it's basically the same spec as the 2010 Vulcan.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Don't know if you're still looking but I've had the vengeance for about a year and half now.
    It's done me good. I've changed a few parts as I've improved. It'll probably serve you well for what you want to do.
  • LJ.
    LJ. Posts: 149
    The Centos over the Vengeance without a doubt, The Vulcan has Hydraulic Disc brakes but it is £80 more