snoopsmydogg
snoopsmydogg Posts: 1,110
edited March 2013 in MTB buying advice
the sticky at the top has a good buyers guide

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The bikes don't change much.....

Go to option for a decent, light, responsive ride is the Rockrider 8.1 from Decathlon (only), now at £550, after than the Voodoo Hoodoo or Carrera Fury are both good buys, or for a bit more the Boardman hardtails (all Halfords)

For what you describe, I'd go with the RR.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    DigiKunt wrote:
    I looked at that but it seems almost a year out of date
      only the 8.1 that out of date, but it does take you to the website, so not hard to find the new version
      http://www.decathlon.co.uk/rockrider-81 ... 68918.html
      Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
    • chez_m356
      chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
      DigiKunt wrote:
      The Rockrider 8.1 does look ok (it's not RED) & it would leave me with change to buy a lock & speedo thing etc
      another I do like is the Radon ZR Team 7.0 but I dont understand the costing/delivery as its not in £
        you can change the language/currency at the top right hand corner of the page
        http://www.bike-discount.de/shop/k1830/ ... ml?mfid=52
          one thing to remember with the radon's, i believe the brakes comes euro setup ie front left, rear right
        Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
      • I brought a giant anthem x4 2012 from the sales section of this site.
        Was in your price range!
        The bloke that sold it to me had better customer service skills than my local bike shop!
        Just a thought, abit of a gamble I thought but bike is like new and needs nothing other than pedals :D
      • swod1
        swod1 Posts: 1,639
        just take your time and visit bike shop locally if you can to see what they stock so you can try for size and see if they have any last years bikes still or shop demo bikes that will be cheaper etc.

I jumped into getting a bike too easily ended up going for my trek in evans and should have looked around but its what i wanted.

Have you decided on a spec of bike that you want ?

some things you would want

hydraulic disc brakes - a must
        front suspension lockout
        29er or 26inch wheels
        9 or 10 speed gears
      • 97th choice
        97th choice Posts: 2,222
        Take a look at the vitus range from chain reaction, some good stuff there and 10% off the 2013 models at the moment.
        Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
        Radon ZR 27.5 Race
        Btwin Alur700
        Merida CX500