iPhone Email / GMail Solutions (iOS6)

Secteur
Secteur Posts: 1,971
edited March 2013 in The cake stop
Hi all,

I exclusively use Gmail, and have just bought a new iPhone 5 (I am new to iPhone).

I originally set it up to use the inbuilt mail app, but it wouldnt do "push" with gmail (confirmed by internet searches).

So, I have ditched the native mail app, and installed the GMail App instead, which is great, and it does push. I have also synced my contacts and calenders between google and iPhone.

Two questions;

The GMail Push features seems to use a lot of battery, presumably because it's always checking with the server?

How do you all manage your email on the iPhone?

Comments

• alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    Should have got an Android phone if you are in the Google ecosystem.
  • Secteur
    shouldawouldacoulda!! That's no use to me now!
  • schweiz
    schweiz Posts: 1,644
    I have 3 gMail accounts as my ISP also uses gMail for its e-mail service and I use the standard iPhone mail app.

I just check my phone every now and again. If I'm expecting something and depending on it's importance then that can be every 5 mins. If I'm not expecting anything and I'm busy or if I'm out cycling then it could be hours between checking, but there's rarely anything that important in my e-mail and if people really need to contact me, they can always speak to me with the 'phone' function! :wink:
  • Are you sure its the app affecting the battery, check out the complaints about ios 6 and the 6.1 update - infact vodafone urged people not to upgrade to 6.1, and only last week gave the all clear - but read around - it mightnt be the apps problem at all.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • I use an iphone with the standard email app & a gmail account and the push part has always worked. Okay its a 3Gs but the os is the same, so don't know why it wouldn't work for you?
  • Have you got 'Fetch new data' set to push in the settings menu? I have a 4s and have no problems using the standard app with my gmail account.
  • Secteur
    I read on t'internet that Google no longer support push for the Mail app... maybe I am wrong? (I am no expert here!)
  • jonomc4
    jonomc4 Posts: 891
    Setting - mail, contacts, calendars -

then row 4 "Fetch new Data" select it - then select "push" to on

Simples
  • Secteur
    Google definitely don't support push for gmail on the native Apple mail app - it only supports push via the GMail App which takes ages to load emails
  • Someone once told me that Push only works on phone Mail apps when connected via 3G or GPRS and that when on wifi, it falls back to regular phone checking. Something to do with the phone having its own IP address and the Push server being able to track it whereas wifi connections tend to share IP addresses between multiple devices.
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    extrusion wrote:
    I use an iphone with the standard email app & a gmail account and the push part has always worked. Okay its a 3Gs but the os is the same, so don't know why it wouldn't work for you?

Likewise but I'm using iphone 4.

It is my Mrs old phone as she's upgraded to a 5 and she's constantly commenting how power hungry it is compared to the 4.

I have push set to on in the settings for 2 gmail accounts and am quite a heavy user of my phone but the battery happily lasts a day.

It may be stuff other than Gmail sucking the life out of it or you may need to revise your estimation of its power consumptions a bit