Clarks Clim8 6 pot disc brakes

garethfox
garethfox Posts: 43
edited March 2013 in MTB beginners
Hello guys as the title says does anyone have these, ive not been running them long and was woundering about the rotor sizing.
Ive read the they should be run with 170mm on the front and 150mm at the back, Does this mack much difference as ive just replaced my standard cable ones with these ones, without replacing the rotors.

I cant complain much as i was given the brakes

Thanks for your help
Gareth

Comments

• what size are your current rotors?
  • Not sure how do I measure them.
    Sorry may seem a thick answer but never been in this position as its my first set of discs
  • the discs usually have the size printed on them
  • Thanks ill have a look how does different sizes affect the discs
  • if the caliper is the wrong size for the disc then there are a couple of possible scenarios.

If the rotor is too big then the caliper wont fit to the mount or if the rotor is too small then the pads won't grip properly and won't wear correctly.
  • To look at them the rotors seem to fit ok
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    Without searching the internet - I've never heard of 170 or 150mm discs. The traditional ones would be 180 and 160. This combination of rotor size should give you ample power. If not, your pads might be contaminated or of low quality. Try new pads. And yes, rotor size affects braking performance. You shouldn't need to go up beyond 180.160 combo.
  • Thanks guys ill take alot at the rotors when i get back home
  • Im also going to give them a good bleed when i get chance does anyone know which oil is best for them
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Without searching the internet - I've never heard of 170 or 150mm discs. The traditional ones would be 180 and 160. This combination of rotor size should give you ample power. If not, your pads might be contaminated or of low quality. Try new pads. And yes, rotor size affects braking performance. You shouldn't need to go up beyond 180.160 combo.
    the clarks are 170 and 150 as standard.

but with different adaptors can work with any size disc.

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... lim-8-9915
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    Weird! Never even seen those sizes when I've bought rotors in the past.
  • Hey guys I've checked my rotors out they are 160mm on the front and 140mm on the rear.
    My front one seems ok but the rear brake is abit on the soft side, I've looked all round the brake but still can't find any details on what oil to put in as I want to bleed them does anyone know what oil I shoukd use as I don't want to mix oils and mess up my brakes inside

Chears
    Gareth
  • I would be more concerned with getting the correct sized rotors first
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Overlooked this post, I have these brakes. The standard IS calipers are for 170mm front, 150mm back ie 10mm more than standard. I run mine with Clarks own adaptors which are plus 33 and plus 53 ie 203 front and rear.