Moving to 10 speed?

BigAirNig
BigAirNig Posts: 296
edited February 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi

I currently run a 3x9 set up and wondered about getting a Shadow+ rear mech to quieten the chain and help prevent it coming off.

If I move to a 10 speed rear mech / cassette / chain and right hand gear shifter - will it still work OK on the front 3 rings - or do I need to get a different front mech also ?? [I think my Raceface Turbine chainrings are 9/10 speed compatible]

i.e. is it possible to change the few obvious bits required to go 10 speed, or does that affect other parts of the system also - meaning you need to do front AND rear mechs & left AND right shifters etc. [if you can even buy a right hand shifter on it's own ?!]

thanks
Rocky Mountain Altitude 50 (+ upgrades.....!)

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    all covered in the FAQs.

but you can do as you say.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Uli
    Uli Posts: 190
    BigAirNig wrote:
    [if you can even buy a right hand shifter on it's own ?!]

thanks
    In every bike shop...or I didn't get the question.
  • I've seen the RHS shifters on ebay for sale, not sure if you can buy them in the shops.

Just finished building my Genesis and this has 10 speed. I'm using a 9 speed front shifter which is working fine. The rear is also 9 speed but this doesn't work with the 10 speed cassette, it misses some sprockets going up and down so I need to change it. Must be something to do with the way the joints are configured on the mech??
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    No, it's because the distance sideways between the gears is smaller (that's how they get 10 in the same space as 9), also a 9 speed chain is too wide to work properly on a 10 speed cassette.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Yes makes sense, Narrow chain fitted and can get the large and small sprockets but it won't shift correctly into the others, want to change it for the SLX shadow plus when I have funds.
  • You need a 10 mech too.
  • Yep, so is the shift movement (distance) different between 9 & 10 sp mechs?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Yes
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad
    Hell of a process though. A bit of inner tube on the chainstay solves the noise, and a well adjusted setup shouldn't drop the chain.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    To use anything 10 speed you need shifter, cassette, chain and rear mech, the only exception is you can use a 9speed rear mech if you use a flat bar road 10 speed shifter.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The Rookie
    It does, but it's also been shown to work as stated (no not done it myself, but enough people say it works...)
  • cooldad
    But an even shittier solution to the problem, really.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    Well it makes the initial conversion cheaper (no need for a new mech), longer term when you want to swap to a proper 10 speed you are then out of pocket I agree.
  • cooldad wrote:
    Hell of a process though. A bit of inner tube on the chainstay solves the noise, and a well adjusted setup shouldn't drop the chain.

Most definitely this.

Swapping everything from 9 to 10 speed would be a ways down my list of things to do.
  • Me too but it is a shitter that that is the only way to get a plus mech.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    With a bit of bodging they work with a 9 speed SRAM rear mech. Not tried it myself, Northwind did IIRC.