The Specialized Allez Sport: worth the extra cash?

theshortstack
theshortstack Posts: 7
edited February 2013 in Road buying advice
Evening everyone.

First time poster here, looking to buy his first time road bike for commuting into work (around 20 miles a day) in London.

I was fairly set on the Specilaized Secteur Tripe, but having looked at the Allez Sport I'm finding myself tempted. Is it worth the extra £75 based in my requirements or should I just stick with my original thoughts?

Cheers,

Comments

• Different geometry on both go for whichever you feel most comfortable on
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    I have had both (still have the Allez) and would consider something very different if commuting every day. The tyre clearance just isn't there so, despite the Secteur having eyelets for guards and panniers, I would be looking at something up to the British winter. I do ride the Allez in all weathers with Raceblade Longs though but figure you would need decent guards that would stay on, and perhaps pannier mounts, etc?

The Secteur has a more upright position due to its massive headtube. The Allez is marketed as 'racier' geometry but it is not a mental race bike like some of the Cippolinis, etc. I ride the Allez a lot and really like it, but I don't commute on it.

As above, try both...and try a few others too.