Ardent-Advantage-Ignitor....

RandG
RandG Posts: 779
edited February 2013 in MTB buying advice
Oh jeez, what's with all these tyres to chose from :shock:

So help me out folks, but please don't suggest any other tyre or make. What's best for me general xc fannying around the local woods and trails ?

Oh on a 29er if that makes any odds.

Comments

• warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    I'd probably stick an ADvantage on the front, as it's a bit more 'all-round' than the other two but still rolls well. Then either of the others on the back. Personally, I quite like the Ardent.
  • concorde
    concorde Posts: 1,008
    Same as above for me.
  • Clank
    Clank Posts: 2,323
    One forumite runs Ardents front and rear on his 29er - works for him. Very well, too.
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Ignitor Exceptions both ends. All year round. Simple.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • RandG
    RandG Posts: 779
    cooldad wrote:
    Ignitor Exceptions both ends. All year round. Simple.

Maybe if you ride round the leafy suburbs of Bracknell, not so much in the rain and mud infested trails of East Scotland :P
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Yeah it's a veritable desert down here.
    You should consider emigrating.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • ste_t
    ste_t Posts: 1,599
    Clank wrote:
    One forumite runs Ardents front and rear on his 29er - works for him. Very well, too.

Why thank you squire. Front and rear in 2.25. Roll fast, plenty of grip, can be ridden as aggressively as I can manage with no problems.

Tried Advantage in 26" guise previously but much prefer the Ardent which I now use on the rear. Wouldn't waste my time with Ignitors, had one before the Advantage and gave it away
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    I haven't really tried the Ignitor but I have plenty of time on 2.4 26" Ardent's and Advantage's.

They are both very good tyres but some prefer one to the other for different reason. The Ardent suits you if you lean the bike over more in corners and has a more solid bite (feels very much like a Minion) whereas the Advantage suits you better if you don't lean the bike so much, doesn't feel as solid biting into the ground but it grips better when you don't lean the bike properly. The Ardent is faster rolling but the Advantage gives more traction when climbing, that's not to say the Ardent lacks traction though. The Advantage definitely wins on loose rocky trails, it's surprising how much grip it has sometimes. They are both pretty similar in the mud but I've found the Ardent clears slightly better. The Advantage obviously brakes a little better. Hopefully that can help you make your mind up, I personally prefer the Ardent's.

I know you said you didn't want any other suggestions but have you looked at the Crossmark? I now run a Specialized Butcher on the front but I used to run the Ardent, and the Advantage before that, with a Crossmark on the back. It obviously doesn't grip or brake as well but it's so much faster and there is still lots of grip on offer, never once felt I needed more grip when I've been using it even on fairly steep, muddy, rooty tracks. I do swap both tyres out for Contintal Baron's when it's mostly muddy tracks that I'm riding but it makes sense to do it and I could still do them fine with the Butcher/Crossmark, just the Baron's are better.