Join in the box hill challenge

Gabbo
Gabbo Posts: 864
edited February 2013 in Road general
Sorry for creating a rather pointless thread but given that the 'Tours, Routes, & Organised rides' section doesn't get even nearly as many views as the Road General section, I thought I would link it up here so that others become aware of the challenge, attempt it, and then post their times.

It's pretty simple - You ride up Box Hill as quickly as you can and then record the data of your ride on the linked thread below.

viewtopic.php?f=40007&t=12907533

Thanks

Comments

• me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    Don't we have Strava for that?
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    My money is on JibberJim
  • A KIRK
    A KIRK Posts: 64
    I'm still on the 10 mins something, guess I'd better get practicing so I can put a semi reasonable time down, might give it ago tomorrow depending on weather
    2010 GT Series 4 ultegra wheels & brakes
    2008 Claud Butler hard tail not very original any more
  • fish156
    fish156 Posts: 496
    ShutUpLegs wrote:
    My money is on JibberJim
    Could be a wise choice; Choufflard is heading back to France very soon.
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    fish156 wrote:
    ShutUpLegs wrote:
    My money is on JibberJim
    Could be a wise choice; Choufflard is heading back to France very soon.

The other day on we both rode up it and according to strava we both did 6:!4...

There should be people here who are faster to me though - I'm probably just one of the few members who are so boring and non-racing that I do my max efforts up a pointless hill in Surrey. Maybe I just need to keep baiting OKGO...
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    Why don't you add age too, to give the old boys a chance. ;)

Do you know which strava segment your route is closest too?

1.Box Hill TT (Dorking CC) 2.8km /127m
    2.Box Hill 2.2k 2.3km/124m
    3.Box Hill bottom to cafe car park post 2.4km/134m
    4.Box Hill (Zig Zag Rd) 2.5km/125m
    5.Boxhill ZigZag climb 2.4km/120m

6 mins is very impressive - puts you in the top 200 on strava. Does it have to be part of a course and if so is there a minimum distance? or are you simply TTing up the hill and resting?
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    diy wrote:

It's this one, the one they used for the Box Hill Challenge, it was in fact created by a forumite to match the challenge from here.
    diy wrote:
    6 mins is very impressive - puts you in the top 200 on strava. Does it have to be part of a course and if so is there a minimum distance? or are you simply TTing up the hill and resting?

6 minutes is not particularly impressive for me, given I've done 5:41 before it was resurfaced.

Ride it however you like to get the fastest time, as long as it's a SOLO effort, and not drafting up there (matters less the faster you go, but 6min drafting is generally about as easy as 6:20 or so for me)
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • diy wrote:

I suggest age of the rider combined with the age of the bike... I get to an impressive 74... 8)
    left the forum March 2023
  • Stedman
    Stedman Posts: 377
    diy wrote:

I suggest age of the rider combined with the age of the bike... I get to an impressive 74... 8)

Sorry on my fixie I would get a combined age of 90, however it is currently geared at 74 inches!
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    If we are doing, Box Hill (Zig Zag Rd) 2.5km/125m, that puts me 159th.

Four rides now, three fixed, seems a bigger GI is quicker :lol: & ugo the new wheels are certainly not prohibiting climbing!

6:11 - September 2012, 51x17
    6:25 - December 2012, 51x18
    6:25 - February 2013 46x16
    7:09 - July 2012, geared
  • diy
    Its going to be hard for people to improve on their summer 2012 times now that the speed bumps are back. They always knock me off my step.
  • diy wrote:
    Its going to be hard for people to improve on their summer 2012 times now that the speed bumps are back. They always knock me off my step.

It's the artritis for me... :lol:
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273

And I suggest that people such as this should get a time penalty as they clearly have more talent than money, as opposed to the other way round :lol:

The proof of this is explicit in the fact that they have not felt the need to go and buy the latest Carbon Fibre Dentist mobile :mrgreen:
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • smidsy wrote:

And I suggest that people such as this should get a time penalty as they clearly have more talent than money, as opposed to the other way round :lol:

The proof of this is explicit in the fact that they have not felt the need to go and buy the latest Carbon Fibre Dentist mobile :mrgreen:

No, but they have their own vices... I am now dealing to get a batch of FMB tubular tyres... each of them cost as much as a chinese carbon frame... :mrgreen:
  • diy
    @iPete, you're meant to post your time in the right position I think. ;) You are in 2nd place
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    No, but they have their own vices... I am now dealing to get a batch of FMB tubular tyres... each of them cost as much as a chinese carbon frame... :mrgreen:

....and another 30 seconds penalty for using tubs :D
    Yellow is the new Black.