noob to mtb looking at upgrades

paulbingham
paulbingham Posts: 34
edited March 2013 in MTB beginners
Hi Guys,

I'm fairly new to "proper" mtbing. I've used an old Ammano(?) bike from halfords for a few years, then last year went a bought a Specialized Hardrock sport disc 2012 on fleabay pretty cheap. Well that was a shock! It was so much lighter and moved faster across the ground it felt like i was flying.
Well since then, i've been talking, reading and looking into/about upgrades and changes i may want to do to the bike. So far i've changed the peddals to DMR V8s and the grips to Lizard Skin Peatys, just as a cheap start. Now i'm looking at what next? Forks would be nice, but i'd want air shocks of some kind and they aint cheap. I've also looked at single speed system as i don't use anything apart from right hand shifter and middle front sprocket. Only thing with that is, i'm confused with gearing. I see things such as 11x9 or 32t or 21 speed and havent a clue how each relates to the other. All i know is i have 3 sprokets on front and seem to be constantly in the middle one.
So can someone explain the numbers?
Also what other possible upgrades should i look at (pref that arent too expensive to start with). If it helps, i'm looking at entering events such as the Mud, Sweat and Gears series and do a lot of trail riding round local forest (Thetford)

Comments

• First break up your text wall into questions.

Next gears,

you have 3*how ever many sprockets are on your rear cassette, if your in a flat area you may well only use your middle ring, but if you go wider onto steaper areas its worth having some variation but it depends how you see your riding develop.

But you seem to only having a passing knoledge of what you want and what direction your riding is heading in, so my honest suggestion is wait, read up some more try alot of different terrain and see what you enjoy most and tailor your bike (or buy a new one) to what suits the riding you enjoy.
  • Uli
    Uli Posts: 190
    Go, ride your bike and shortly you will know what to change/upgrade.
    People like you just generate unnecessary demand and drive prices up :)
  • Gears - you on what is known as a triple ring set up, good as you get more gears but heavier than a double & as you already know you hardly use the smaller ring (also known as a granny ring) The numbers refer to the font X rear ratio of the gears e.g. 50-34X 11-29 (this is beginners section so be nice I know this is road ratio but the points the same) which means the front rings are 34 & 50 in cog size & the rear block has goes from an 11 through to 29 cog size as you through the gears.

Your current bike is not the most expensive but does have a good set up for the money, personally if it were me I would leave the current fork as is (if your going that route it can be a lot of money & you might as well part-ex the bike for a newer one).

As for upgrades it might help if you had a budget in mind? But I'll give you what I would do if it were my bike;
    Wheels/tyres - can make a big difference in handling of the bike and your confidence at speed
    Saddle - can make a massive difference to your butt as its a primary point of contact with the bike & takes a lot of weight
    Pedals - as above are a primary point of contact, don't cost the earth to upgrade & if you get the right ones for the type of riding your looking to do can really help with the handling of the bike
    Grips - if you like the ones you have leave them, but they are cheap to change and once you find a set that you like you will think why did I not change earlier
    Gears - can be expensive to change but you could always sell the rear cassette & front chainring to help fund the change & go for a double set up.
    Wheels - as above can be expensive & if you looking at doing a few upgrades you might find that looking to change the whole bike is a better option.

Good luck with your racing though - get out there and give it some. I have a bloody nice and to me quite expensive race bike but I also love my 17 year old Cannodale & do still race on it even though its had a hard life it still goes fast enough for me
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • While I'm at it brakes - look at upgrading the pads too!
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • tyres
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    Have a look in my sig - my carrera is set up for racing as best I can.
  • clamps81
    clamps81 Posts: 315
    Don't be too hasty and throw away the other front rings just yet - I rode Thetford the other day as I was over that way and it's flat as a bloody pancake. You'll no doubt be needing that granny ring if you go anywhere with some elevation.

Don't know spec of your bike, but with most starter bikes you'd probably want to sort the brakes, fork and then the wheels, but depends where and what you ride.
    Nukeproof Mega AM

Tomac Snyper - Now sadly in pieces
  • I'd say best think to upgrade on a hardrock would be the fork (although maybe tyres also depending what's on there) - others on the forum have done this and say it transforms the bike. Forget all the little things and save up for a Rockshox Recon air fork (or Reba if you can stretch to it) keep your eye on Merlin, On One etc for good deals. Think it needs to be 100mm travel for a Hardrock

There's very little point messing with the chainrings & gearing - at least until it wears out
  • dhobiwallah
    dhobiwallah Posts: 272
    You are presumably coming to the sport pretty fit from other endeavours if you are looking at ditching the granny ring already!