Is it just me?

Gpfanuk
Gpfanuk Posts: 142
edited February 2013 in Road general
Is it just me or has anybody else noticed the growing trend of cars driven/filled with teenagers to open a window and shout unintelligible nonsense when passing cyclists? Just wondered as this has happened twice in the last week to me as I was quietly blasting along minding my own... :?
Muddy Fox Hardtail Circa 1998
Triban3
Felt AR5
ANC Halfords Peugeot (restored and ridden at Eroica 2015)
A box of bits that will make a fine Harry Hall when I get round to it.
Raleigh tandem of as yet unknown vintage - ongoing restoration for Eroica 2016

Comments

• VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    My first ever cycle and I had a guy pull out on me from a petrol station and then should abuse at me with the kids in the back giving me the happy hand sign :)
    Living MY dream.
  • VTech wrote:
    My first ever cycle and I had a guy pull out on me from a petrol station and then should abuse at me with the kids in the back giving me the happy hand sign :)

You certainly have a very eventful cycling life... :wink:
    left the forum March 2023
  • It's not just you! Happened to me a few months back. I just smiled and overtook them later when they got stuck in the traffic!
  • Gpfanuk wrote:
    cars driven/filled with teenagers to open a window and shout unintelligible nonsense

Is that not what teenagers do normally to everyone anyway? As per this clip - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqMEo5Z7O0Q
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    VTech wrote:

You certainly have a very eventful cycling life... :wink:

It was one of the reasons I decided to use the turbo more, after my initial cycle I felt I lacked stamina and fitness which is now no longer the case on the lengths of cycling I do at the moment. I still believe (although I am sure people will want to hang me for saying it) that with weak fitness you are far more prone to accidents on the road. I feel much safer now and clocked up a decent ride yesterday before the storm hits.
    Living MY dream.
  • Strith
    Strith Posts: 541
    Thats just what the yoof do thes days.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1V_qz9I1Nk
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Gpfanuk wrote:
    Is it just me or has anybody else noticed the growing trend of cars driven/filled with teenagers to open a window and shout unintelligible nonsense when passing cyclists? Just wondered as this has happened twice in the last week to me as I was quietly blasting along minding my own... :?

I get this a few times a year, yes. I'd say more so over the last three years or so.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • Ouija
    Ouija Posts: 1,386
    Gpfanuk wrote:

Yep. All the time.... And they never seem to realize that you can't make out a word or what they are shouting due to the doppler effect.
  • Gpfanuk wrote:

It definately isn't just you mate. I get this a lot (being young also I guess it spurs them on more, fuck knows why). You can never make out what they are saying, just sounds like a lot of dribble.

My response is just to put my fore finger to my lips. Shhhhhh.
  • I either get kids walking past me, pretending to jump out in front of me, whilst making a stupid noise or bark. Or I get kids shouting things like 'gayboy'.
    Cube Attain SL Disc
    Giant CRS 2.0
  • One Tuesday night last year I had the passenger of a white van lean out and hit me with a plastic bottle as they drove past so personally I'd rather they just yelled at me.
  • I've had my arse slapped on a few occasions, not much verbal abuse mind.
    Cannondale SS Evo Team
    Kona Jake CX
    Cervelo P5
  • Amazingly never had any problems with 'yoofs' in cars when on the bike but plenty act like idiots when I'm driving and they're on foot (jumping out, running after the car etc). I reckon if they're stupid enough to do that then they probably can't comprehend what a bike is :roll:
  • Not had any trouble with youths but fat bastard lorry drivers mouthing "wanker" at me cos they are incredibly jealous of my lithe athletic body and ability to bang their Mrs,s is commonplace.
    the deeper the section the deeper the pleasure.
  • My stock answer is to make it clear to them that they 'drive like a peasant'. It's one of the few things that really, really seems to hit the nerve spot on. Good fun.