Best track event

2»

Comments

• eskimo Joe wrote:
    When I was a kid living in Madrid, used to love the Devil in the Madrid sixes. Willy Debosscher would ride at the back point to the guy in front indicating he was going out, then he would haul himself off of the wee handle they used to have pon their shorts for slinging one another, past the guy ready to do it all agin 10 laps later. Great entertainment!

Yeah! Debosscher used to be one of my DSs... nutter, and a complete show-man! He used to have us in stitches with his tales...

esafosfina1 you cant leave us hanging like that, if any are fit for a public forum tell us a couple.
    Suburban studs yodel better than anyone else
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,549
    Eddy S wrote:
    Why not?
    You cannot seriously award World Cup, World Championships and Olympic titles which include an event where unreliable technology is used to advise riders that they are eliminated, where riders chose whether they agree with the elimination or not, where the race is neutralised if a rider does not come out of the race, where no elimination is called if the judges can’t identify which rider should go, where the governing body keeps tweaking the rules about how to eliminate riders.

The Devil is great at training sessions, a good programme filler at track league, fabulous for teaching young riders about race craft, tactics, positioning in the pack but it does not belong at World/Olympics level.

I believe football is also an Olympic sport, complete with was-it-wasn't-it goal line clearances, dodgy offsides, spurious free-kicks, dubious penalties, and every throw in or corner/goal-kick claimed by both teams - all determined by a few blokes with no recourse to any tech other than a microphone/earpiece link between them.

In fact, that's the same for the world cup final, which is arguably a more prestigious event than any Olympic track cycling discipline.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • I believe football is also an Olympic sport...

Yeah, lets get rid of that as well. :D
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,314
    eskimo Joe wrote:
    eskimo Joe wrote:
    When I was a kid living in Madrid, used to love the Devil in the Madrid sixes. Willy Debosscher would ride at the back point to the guy in front indicating he was going out, then he would haul himself off of the wee handle they used to have pon their shorts for slinging one another, past the guy ready to do it all agin 10 laps later. Great entertainment!

Yeah! Debosscher used to be one of my DSs... nutter, and a complete show-man! He used to have us in stitches with his tales...

esafosfina1 you cant leave us hanging like that, if any are fit for a public forum tell us a couple.

Aw - be fair; he's already shared a personal pic of Plonker Rodney Will-Amount-To-Nowt Wiggins and some tales of The Badger in the last month or so... let the geezer save something for his memoirs...
  • Most tales would be sanctioned tbh! He was (probably still is...) a wild one! It would be worth trying to track down any clips of him riding the wrong way around the boards whilst the 'chase' was on! (He nearly got chucked out for that one...!) Grabbing beers off spectators and riding around the top of the banking necking it whilst racing... and my personal fave (eye-witness to this one...) getting thrown off a Pan-Am flight in Miami for pinching a stewardesses ass, and then denying it, causing a 'Mexican-stand-off' for an hour, in which he managed to con another stewardess to keep supplying him beers! When the police arrived he (and the other Belgie's) suddenly lost their English language skills, leaving me to translate and get his bags out of the hold of the 747, ffs!
  • brilliant, had a quick google, buty couldnt find any clips,will keep looking though.
    Suburban studs yodel better than anyone else