Dumb question- Shorts and cold weather

jerry3571
jerry3571 Posts: 1,532
edited February 2013 in Pro race
Just watched the Tour of Haut Var yesterday and looked on a weather website where they said the temperatures yesterday got to about 3c in Draguignan. There was snow in the fields so it must have been darn cold. These guys average probably 25-30 mph for a stage so significant wind chill. Just wondering how the riders can wear shorts and short sleeved Jerseys in this kind of weather? Do Pro riders generate such heat that they create a in built warmth?
If I was out in 3c, I would be dressed up like a Spaceman. I am just a soft Southerner?

I have got close to getting hypothermia in the Spanish Mountains before so when I get cold, I get cold.

Weather Station in Draguignan yesterday-
http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstat ... =IDRAGUIG1
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving”- Albert Einstein

"You can't ride the Tour de France on mineral water."
-Jacques Anquetil

Comments

• jerry3571 wrote:
    Just watched the Tour of Haut Var yesterday and looked on a weather website where they said the temperatures yesterday got to about 3c in Draguignan. There was snow in the fields so it must have been darn cold. These guys average probably 25-30 mph for a stage so significant wind chill. Just wondering how the riders can wear shorts and short sleeved Jerseys in this kind of weather? Do Pro riders generate such heat that they create a in built warmth?
    If I was out in 3c, I would be dressed up like a Spaceman. I am just a soft Southerner?

I have got close to getting hypothermia in the Spanish Mountains before so when I get cold, I get cold.

Weather Station in Draguignan yesterday-
    http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstat ... =IDRAGUIG1

Embrocation!

Or, alternatively, they get swaddled up like the Michelin Man until the TV coverage starts and then strip down. Normally in cold weather the only guys in shorts at the start are the ones trying to make the early break.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,905
    I suppose that's an interesting question. We know that riders get food handed to them throughout the race. How much wardrobe shifting goes on when the weather is bad?
  • When JTL won that race last year he didn't even wear gloves.
  • I've raced in about the same weather in shorts/jersey but did have arm warmers on, though average speed was nearer to 20mph have to say the fact I was chewing on my handlebars took my mind off the weather & that after the race little dan really was little. :oops:
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    My legs and body don't feel the cold that much in a race, have raced at freezing in shorts, base layer and jersey and arm warmers and felt fine. Its my hands that are the first to go - especially if its damp and windy. Feet generally OK with a pair of oversocks, don't tend to bother with full on overshoe gimp boots. The guys that race without gloves in cold weather must be hard as nails!
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    It's the photos you see of them on training camps etc. when they have arm warmers/tights/skull cap/overshoes on yet still have bare hands - how does that work? I can understand some not liking the feel of gloves but surely they're better than freezing hands (or it a similar thing to how TV chefs seem to handle hot stuff that would have me running my hands under a cold tap swearing?)
  • nferrar wrote:
    It's the photos you see of them on training camps etc. when they have arm warmers/tights/skull cap/overshoes on yet still have bare hands - how does that work? I can understand some not liking the feel of gloves but surely they're better than freezing hands (or it a similar thing to how TV chefs seem to handle hot stuff that would have me running my hands under a cold tap swearing?)

The training camps are usually in warmer climes though. I
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • nferrar wrote:

Often when you see them in a training camp they are doing PR stuff so are not working a hard on the bike but are being "directed" for the photo/TV angles.

Hence them wearing more layers on top to reduce the likely hot of suffering from the cold, but can bet when they are working at a hard training rate they will be wearing a lot less as their bodies are generating more heat & they are trying to replicate race conditions where you do have a domestic to carry your rain cape but not a moped & team car who will come and deliver your gear to you at a moments notice.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,471
    They won't be racing in short sleeved jerseys as a rule and very few will be in shorts. Those that are are Belgian and therefore mad. In my avatar I'm racing in about 3 degrees with pouring rain and gales, when I finished I couldn't hold my cup of tea I was shaking so much and it took almost an hour in my car with the heating on full blast to warm back up. I'm never racing in those conditions again in arm warmers and leg warmers - full winter thermals next time and I tend to ride in less clothing than most people I see in the winter months.
  • jerry3571
    jerry3571 Posts: 1,532
    Seems odd as leggings or other clothing doesn't really restrict riders.
    I think not wearing any gloves is a bit nutty generally as going over the handlebars can save your hands getting torn up on the road. I thought at least having ¾ length leggings would be the minimum saving a rider from the Easter Knees (shouldn't bear knees before Easter, the cold causing tendonitis). The tendons in the knees are close to the skin so can't see how they aren't affected by the cold.
    A few years back, a lot of riders did seem to wrap up but that seems to be now forgotten about.
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving”- Albert Einstein

"You can't ride the Tour de France on mineral water."
    -Jacques Anquetil