Rust inside steel frame

frankspencer1979
frankspencer1979 Posts: 525
edited February 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Is this inevitable or can it be prevented?

Just noticed some rust on my seat post as I took it out, obviously come from inside the frame. I imagine if I just leave it, at the very least the seat post will eventually seize into the frame!?

Comments

• warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    There are specific 'framesaver' products, but apparently linseed oil works as well. Personally I've never had the need to (although my current frame has a coating as standard), as long as the frame has decent drainage it should be fine for more than long enough. There'll always be a bit of surface rust here and there.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    My 1984 steel frame is fine. never done any thing to it.

and grease your seat post.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Levi_501
    Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
    Every now and again, I spray WD40 through all the breath holes in the frame.

Obviously you need the straw, but just fire a few seconds in each hole. Shake the frame around.

Not sure it actually needs it though, just something I do.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Dynatrol, like wax oil, comes in aerosol with a nozzle like WD40, you can spray it direct on rust and it will inhibit further rusting as well.....spray through all the 'drain holes'.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.