Good 'spinning' or 'turbo' distractions?

crescent
crescent Posts: 1,201
edited February 2013 in The cake stop
Due to me working offshore I am limited to a mixture of turbo/spin/exercise bike for a couple of weeks at a time. To break the monotony I use my iPod touch, alternating between YouTube cycling videos and music. A current favourite at the moment is Calvin Harris/Rihanna - "We found love...". Not generally the kind of music I would listen to but a superb track to 'spin' to and I find that even when I'm a mess of sweat & snot I still manage to crank up the watts and get out the saddle when it comes on.
Anyone have a particular favourite track or video they find really lifts them during monotonous exercise?

Cheers
Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"

Comments

• alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    This gives you two hours:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3g4T2bwvMMk

there are loads more of his 'A state of trance' two hour mixes if you find its your kind of thing.

May be worth looking at something with a little more tempo for a turbo session though. Hardcore techno?

The Sufferfest vids also have a decent soundtrack -> and they're listed on the website so you can have a listen to them eg. http://www.thesufferfest.com/video-sufferfests/details-angels/
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    The ITV TdF '12 highlights shows on You Tube. Each stage is roughly 45 mins. I much prefer watching stuff rather than listening to music, makes the session much less monotonous IMO.

I sometimes don't plan a session and just mimic what's going on in the race, e,g; climbing - then max resistance and grind a big gear. When Tommy Voeckler is on, I just start licking my conservatory windows :D
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    Hmm try and find some gigs or shows on Youtube, FOr example if you like Dance Music, Sensation White do podcasts of all the DJ sets that are on Youtube.

The Sufferfest vids would be best though!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    Blatant plug, but I like the YouTube race vids. THIS details a workout to the 2011 'Hell of the North' Paris Roubaix. Put some loud music on and watch the screen. You're either working hard or working a bit less hard as a recovery.
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Sufferfest videos. You don't need anything else !
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    As distraction, you could also cook your lunch at the same time ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybFvomdhW2Y
  • richsieb
    richsieb Posts: 137
    TDF 2012 on xbox aha
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    I was wondering whether the helmet cam brigade watch their own commutes whilst on the turbo :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • I like to Turbo to the Spring Classics on Youtube. I've just done the last two or three Fleche Wallones and before that RVV's and P-Rs. I must admit the Fleche Wallone has grown on me as a one dayer. Superb finish.

Might move on to the Ardennes at the weekend.

Midweek mornings are reserved for Susannah Reid though
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • If I'm not trying to do anything intense, I'll just watch something on telly and set the HRM to go bip if I go under or over the required level of beans. Sport's pretty good for this, I reckon. If it's intervals, I've got a few audio playlists on the telly PC (9 years old, still going strong, cheers Ubuntu!) which, if played over Youtube cycling stuff, work really rather well. I'm sure when The Sisters of Mercy released the album version of This Corrosion they didn't intend it to work as "10 mins, best effort climb", but hey, it'll do me.
    Mangeur
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,965
    My rollers are in the shed, I listen to music at the moment, cd through an FM transmit to the car stereo which runs off the 12v batteries powered by the windturbine

I'm thinking of getting a TV in there, but it's such a faff now that it's all digital; can't stick a piece of coat-hanger in the back and get a signal that's dependable now.

I spend most of my rolling time looking around the shed and wondering what else I can shove up someone on EBay, either that or thinking "these rollers work nicely for a £20 lash-up" :D

The older I get, the better I was.