Jockey wheels...

nasha48
nasha48 Posts: 231
edited February 2013 in MTB buying advice
Need some new jockey wheels for my SRAM X9 (bought new last year). Any good user reviews on decent replacements? Sounds like the AEST ones selling on eBay have crappy bearings (not too surprised as they're cheapish)? Do I really need to pay £25+ for ceramic bearings or are any cheaper alternatives half decent? Would like them to last me till end of year if poss (circa 1500 miles).

Comments

• Mojo_666
    Mojo_666 Posts: 860
    My wheels actually wear down to spurs before the bearings fail, so ceramic bearings seem pointless to me.
  • Having had some cheap BB roller boys seize up after a very short time I`ve just rpelaced them with some Tacx Stainless jobs.

Too early to comment but they were only £13.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • baser
    baser Posts: 127
    Hi Spiderman

I have been using the MT Zoom jockeys for a couple of years now.

You have two options

http://www.xcracer.com/shop/viewproduct ... ductid=218 if you are interested in saving a few grams

or

http://www.xcracer.com/shop/viewproduct ... ductid=231 if you dont want to save the grams, want a bling colour and want to save £10.

Both sets are ceramic and the cheeper option can be had for under £25.
  • nasha48
    Cheers guys, much appreciated. Spider-Man - not sure those Tacx wheels are the right fit for a 2012 SRAM X9 unfortunately, but do tell me if I'm wrong. Baser - cheers for links, not bothered about the weight so the others look suited for me, tho the description is a little vague concerning suitability. However, may just order some and give it a try, especially given the selection of shiny colours! Bit frustrating that the OEM ones on the SRAM cage don't seem to last long, though its the wearing down of them as opposed to the bearings admittedly. Only need to replace them as they are definitely having a negative effect on shifting.
  • The bottom one can't really effect the shifting as long as it spins ok.
  • baser
    Hi Nataha

Sorry forgot that bit. The top, light more expensive version fit the SRAM 2008 9 speed X0 and X9 mechs as well as teh 2011 10 speed X9 I have tried this and can confirm they work really well! One of my friends runs the heavier cheaper set on a SRAM 2008 9 speed X0 and they work well. I think you will be fine!

Thanks

Lee
  • nasha48
    Ok, cheers baser. Am I wrong in assuming there's a minor design difference between the 08 version of the X9 and the 2012 version then? Hopefully I am. And chunked - bottom wheel does spin fine but its the ninja star effect that's catching on the chain now and again, in fact just half a crank turn backwards and it shifts the chain onto a different gear sprocket, I swear I can see it happen on the stand. Think I could perhaps get smoother use out of it by removing the jockey and filing off the spikes.
  • baser
    The main diffrence is 2008 was 9 and 2011/2 is 10 speed. I only say they sould be fine as I have swapped wheels between the two diffrent types and they have worked. the spacing and bolts / axles look to be the same.
  • EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
    KCNC will make some that fit, and they're really good. Although not especially cheap they'll last.

I've got some in an X0 mech from 2007.