Garmin 800 navigation oddities

stueys
stueys Posts: 1,332
edited February 2013 in Road general
After carefully plotting a course from the chilterns through London to blackheath today (it was cold!) my garmin decided to go off-piste early on and added about 8 miles to my journey along with a tour through some of the more 'interesting' parts of town.

I know I started the route right as i recalled the first few roads and stayed on them. It basically diverted off the course. The only time I've had this happen before was when downloading a course from something like ridewithgps and it not being a native garmin file. This course however was created by my loving hand directly in garmin connect, which I've never had a problem with before.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Check your settings are set to follow route and not deviate.
  • stueys
    Buckie2k5 wrote:
    Check your settings are set to follow route and not deviate.

Thanks for that, do you know where that setting is? Only one I can find that looks close is recalculate on or off?
  • Stueys wrote:
    Buckie2k5 wrote:

Thanks for that, do you know where that setting is? Only one I can find that looks close is recalculate on or off?

The screenshots of the settings here are quite useful :-)
    http://www.scarletfire.co.uk/2012/11/fo ... -edge-800/
    Alan
    http://www.scarletfire.co.uk

The Ultimate List of Strava Add On Sites!
    http://www.scarletfire.co.uk/strava-sites
  • Stueys wrote:
    Buckie2k5 wrote:

ye leave it off otherwise if u take a wrong turning it will recalculate your course which isnt always a good thing when there is motorways or ghettos close by lol
  • I'm always having problems with my 800 in this area. Whenever I follow a course, it'll work flawlessly to a point, then all of a sudden just cease giving me directions. I always ensure turn by turn navigation is on etc etc in the course settings, so it's not that. Considering that navigation is the 800s forte and what you pay for over and above an Edge 500, it's somewhat disappointing.
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    Im in Charleston SC at the moment and I had plot a few rides but the thing wouldnt work at all last night so I ended up just cycling along the main boulevard off the freeway. I am back in the hotel right now and cant figure out where I went wrong :(
    Living MY dream.
  • stueys
    Thanks for the responses, so it turns out I had recalculate turned on. Which means the garmin will recalculate my course if it thinks it can get there faster (mystifies me as to why it works like that, if I wanted the ruddy thing to navigate me there then I'd type the address in as opposed to spending hours creating a course...)

Hopefully now fixed, thanks for the help