Are 4th cats good experience for a paracyclist?

cojones
cojones Posts: 131
edited March 2013 in Amateur race
I'm a C5 (least affected) paracyclist looking to get race experience prior to the start of the National Para race series. There are no para specific races to enter to get experience (that I can find at least) so I'd like to enter a standard 4th cat. I'm not expecting to match the other (able bodied) riders but I'm wondering if there is something to gain from the experience or whether I will get dropped immediately and then spend the whole race chasing wheels?

More about me, I have a spinal cord injury. I have full control of the bike but I lack power. Obviously I'm not expecting anyone to tell me how I'm going to do, I'd just like to predict whether I'll be more in a bunch or more on my own getting lapped! Oh, and I'm not going on my shiny new 13lbs Summer bike for fear of damage, I'll be using the Alu winter 'tank'!

Any experienced riders care to pass on some wisdom?

Thanks,

Coj

Comments

• napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    My mate Colin (Pokerface on here, Para World Champ at TT and Indiv Pursuit) had no trouble at all. Just get stuck in! Even if you do get dropped, just keep going back.

HOWEVER - and I'd recommend this to anyone, join a club and do a few chain gangs/group rides.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • cojones
    Thanks NapoleonD. What do you mean 'just keep going back'?

I did some race traing and I ride with a group weekly, but not at race speeds or close proximity. I'm looking for a chain gang in oxon/wilts/Gloucs borders but they're hard to find.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    cojones wrote:
    Thanks NapoleonD. What do you mean 'just keep going back'?

I did some race traing and I ride with a group weekly, but not at race speeds or close proximity. I'm looking for a chain gang in oxon/wilts/Gloucs borders but they're hard to find.

As in just keep going and racing and hanging on for grim death! :D
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    cojones wrote:
    More about me, I have a spinal cord injury. I have full control of the bike but I lack power.

Do you mean your power output is functionally 'limited' by your spinal problem - or can your power still be potentially improved?

There's regular circuits at Ludgershall and Castle Coombe - as above, I would just get down there and hang on. You will soon know where you are speed/fitness-wise.
  • TakeTurns
    TakeTurns Posts: 1,075
    Any experience you can gain will be good. No matter how much you read into it, hear others experiences, there's nothing compared to actually getting stuck in. Get a few races under your belt and you'll set yourself up nicely for the other stuff you have planned. Doesn't matter where in the peleton you finish; in the end you'll walk away as a wiser and stronger rider.

All the best.
  • cojones
    Thanks, all sounds like good advice. I'd earmarked Ludgershall, so will get myself down there.

Re: my power output, I have no nerve supply to the calf muscles and reduced supply to right gluteus, so whilst power can be increased - I am doing plenty of strength training - the potential is relatively low.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    cojones wrote:
    Thanks, all sounds like good advice. I'd earmarked Ludgershall, so will get myself down there.

Re: my power output, I have no nerve supply to the calf muscles and reduced supply to right gluteus, so whilst power can be increased - I am doing plenty of strength training - the potential is relatively low.

The main thing is, it sounds like there is still room for improvement. Racing will almost certainly bring on the improvement, or at least show you were the improvement needs to be.
  • Go for it. The last 4th Cat race I was in was won by a paracylist.
  • cojones
    Go for it. The last 4th Cat race I was in was won by a paracylist.

Blimey! Good for him.
  • cojones
    Raced Ludgershall this morning. Really enjoyed it but the gap between able bodied and me was clear...I've written more in this thread viewtopic.php?f=40041&t=12908173&p=18175231#p18175231