Mech Hangers Are Expensive

2»

Comments

• bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    I think my last one was an NSB from CRC for a reasonable £12.99. They are CNC'd but OE ones probably aren't.
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    Tenner for the one on my giant. Happy to pay it tbh
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    stubs wrote:
    If it was so easy then the Chinese who can knock out CNC machined LED lights for £10 would be making them and selling them for noodles.

Probably not much margin in it, you can buy a hanger for £10-£15 usually in the UK, so £5 from HK with 30 days wait isn't going to attract that much custom especially as people tend to want them in a hurry. Also there are also people making cheap OEM-alternative hangers so it's a crowded market.

Thing is, CNC would be fine for making small volumes but if you want to make a lot, it's time inefficient. And if you've got the hardware, there's more profitable uses for it. It's not so much the cost, as the opportunity cost.
    You also need to get the right grade aluminium, it may not be the same as the frame and it may need heat treatment.

No reason to match grades really- you'd pick out one suitable for the task not necessarily the same as what OEM uses. Shouldn't be any need to heat-treat, no stress relief or hardening.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    For the lights you can just set up a CNC lathe with a bar feed to knock out loads of items the same with and operator working several machines at once.
    Mech hangers need a bit more human input for loading/unloading each part and changing set ups for each hanger. One operator could probably only work a couple machines.
  • Lagrange
    Lagrange Posts: 652
    B...H...!! I've just paid a little short of £40 for an LHS and RHS spare hangers for my Orange p7. I'll get them insured!
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Lagrange wrote:
    B...H...!! I've just paid a little short of £40 for an LHS and RHS spare hangers for my Orange p7. I'll get them insured!
    Yeah, the ones on my ragley have to be bought as a pair of dropouts, rather than just a spare hanger, costs about £20... I don't see why they can't offer them as just drive side, I mean how many people are going to want to buy the non-drive side more than once? And that's only if you're changing your axle.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5