First time going clippless

ilovegrace
ilovegrace Posts: 677
edited February 2013 in MTB buying advice
Well here goes !
I mainly ride road and x country with my cyclocrss bike.
I am new ish to cyyling and my next step is to go clippless, I have not got much of a clue about this .
However a couple of friends have recommended MTB or treking shoes.
My main problem is my wide feet ,tried some shoes at my LBS recently and all were to tight I have a wide foot and when running need to use a 9 1/2 Sauconey running shoe these shoes are a combination of narrow heal and wide forefoot.
What I am asking is advise from you on what would be the best shoe to try .
I have seen some scott at start fittness for £50 seem a good buy . any ideas and advise will be very much apreciated.
regards
IL:G

Comments

• Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    If your feet are weird sizes, you really just need to get out to shops and try them on - that's the best advice I can share!
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Specialized do wider fitting shoes though they are hard to find I think you would only find them in a Specialized store. From experience I would say avoid Sidi and Shimano XC shoes they are narrow.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Many thanks chaps
    My feet are not weird as such just a little wider than normal.
    I need plenty of room x the forefoot to feel comfortable.
    If any one knows of a boxy toe box type shoe please let me know.
    regrds
    ILD
  • WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    The Scott ones are a wider fit compared to the Shimano SPD shoes which normally fit better one size larger.
  • scarbs85
    scarbs85 Posts: 170
    Shimano do a Wide version of their shoes. I don't consider my feet to be wide, but the manufacturers seems to think cyclists have exceptionally dainty feet.

Anyway, I have Shimano M088 shoes in the wide version, size 46. They fit me like a normal shoe size 10.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I have a similar issue, my feet are 9 1/2 G, so in most shoes I need an 11 to get the width (my widest part is also closer to the toes than normal). I got on very well with the Spesh Tahoe.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • My hobbit feet are average but quite wide. best to try on a few different brands to find the ones that suit you better as I find some have a small toe box others don't.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • I have wide feet and found Specialized worked well for me. Bontrager were tight and Shimano crushed me. I now wear NorthWave and i find them excellent. I took the insole out of the specialized and popped em in the NW and i have super comfy feet now.
  • Thanks for the replies everyone
    Going to try some Scott tommorow.
    Now I need cleats, I will be using the shoes and pedals on my cyyclo cross and hopefully (if my work join the CTW scheme) a new road bike.
    Will i be able to use the mtb shoe and pedal combination on a road bike ?
  • Yes.