How thick are...

mattbass789
mattbass789 Posts: 355
edited February 2013 in Road general
Rapha merino socks.

on a scale from coolmax to defeet woolie boolie?

I use woolie boolies through winter, and they do a very good job. But there seems to be a lack of merino socks for the rest of the seasons?
The woolie boolies do make my shoes very snug, I'm looking for a sock option that is thicker than coolmax, but not as thick as a woolie boolie. preferably merino.
“If you worried about falling off the bike, you’d never get on.”

@mattbeedham

Comments

• Gabbo
    Gabbo Posts: 864
    Try plastic bags..
  • schweiz
    schweiz Posts: 1,644
    The original Rapha socks were very thin but the last lot I got a few years ago were thicker than 'coolmax' type socks. They're nice in Spring and Autumn.
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    Love the Rapha merino's, on a thickness scale of 1 to 10 about a 3.
  • Ok, they may be the ticket... Where would you put a woolie boolie on that scale? I'd say a 5? an out and out hiking sock a 10? a coolmax a 1?

I most certainly don't over think things. ever.
    “If you worried about falling off the bike, you’d never get on.”

@mattbeedham
  • lawrences
    lawrences Posts: 1,011
    You guys spend £15 on Rapha socks?
  • dowtcha
    dowtcha Posts: 442
    lawrences wrote:
    You guys spend £15 on Rapha socks?
    What else is left to buy when Assos have sold out of their £20 socks?
  • Just trade your Woolie Boolies for Wooleators as the weather improves.

http://www.defeet.com/60305/i1323770/718744/Cycling-Socks/Wooleator-High-Top.html

Not quite summer weight but a lot thinner. I tend to go for Boolies <5C or for 5-10C Wooleators then >10C I'm wearing Assos Skinweb. All three of them last years.
  • Ok, they may be the ticket... Where would you put a woolie boolie on that scale? I'd say a 5? an out and out hiking sock a 10? a coolmax a 1?

Yep think your about right.

I'd put my Rapha merino ones as a 3/4 and the winter ones about a 5/6. They are well worth it & if bought as a bundle can be a good deal.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • http://www.endurasport.com/Product.aspx ... rod_id=369

i have the winter version of these, and they are incredible
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    Ok, they may be the ticket... Where would you put a woolie boolie on that scale? I'd say a 5? an out and out hiking sock a 10? a coolmax a 1?

Coolmax at 1, Woolie boolies at 10, Rapha at 3 as suggested buy in the bundle.