Schwalbe tyres

tezboy1234
tezboy1234 Posts: 132
edited February 2013 in MTB general
I've noticed that when it comes to Schwalbe tyres, the most popular seems to be the racing ralph's or rapid rob's. What i can't understand is why so many people will stick a ralph one end and a rob the other? Anyone know why? Also, when it comes to Schwalbe tyres, are the folding ones better?

Comments

• dusk
    dusk Posts: 583
    fast rolling on the rear, grippy on the front. Folding tyres are much lighter
    YT Wicked 160 ltd
    Cotic BFe
    DMR Trailstar
    Canyon Roadlite
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    I'm not aware of anyone doing that particularly, and I'd say Robs are a long way down the food chain in terms of preference, behind Ralphs, Nics, Dans, Ron and Hans Dampfs. Nic/Ralph combo is 'the norm' if you're mixing and matching - Nic is marginally grippier, so better on the front.

The Rob is a budget tyre, the old Ralph tread pattern in a harder compound.
  • I've put Dans front and rear, never thought of mixing and matching
    Riding a Merida FLX Carbon Team D Ultralite Nano from Mike at Ace Ultra Cycles, Wednesfield, Wolverhampton 01902 725444
  • njee20
    I mix and match most of the time, but don't own Robs, like I say, they're a cheaper tyre.
  • Im guessing he means Rons and not Robs?
  • I've just ordered the same set up.

Bike came with Rapid robs weighing a silly 800g each I think! After some research, I'm going for Ralphs on the rear and Nics on the front. If anything, people will probably think I know what I'm doing so MAX rep points on the trail :lol:
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    kammybear wrote:
    I've just ordered the same set up.

Bike came with Rapid robs weighing a silly 800g each I think! After some research, I'm going for Ralphs on the rear and Nics on the front. If anything, people will probably think I know what I'm doing so MAX rep points on the trail :lol:
    Until they see you ride anyway.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • njee20
    edited February 2013
    Im guessing he means Rons and not Robs?
    Possibly, but do many people mix Rons and Ralphs? Different tyres IMO, the Ron is a lighter carcass (shared with the Dan and Fred) with less tread on the shoulders, but more in the middle, whilst the Ralph has more on the shoulders but less in the middle, and a heavier carcass (shared with the Hans and Nic).

Personally if it's wet or loamy I tend to opt for a Ron, if it's firm I tend to go for Ralphs, or a Ralph/Fred combo.
  • me i go for Freeride Muddy Mary.

they weigh half a ton, are almost impossible to puncture and stick to the trail like a hooover.. downside they weigh half a ton and stick to the trail like a hoover man thats effort!
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Silly names for tyres if you ask me.
  • njee20
    Agreed, but WGAS?
  • bennett_346
    Who gives a **** about anything said on here?
  • Bennet

What are you bothering to leave a comment for? If the post doesn't interest you, just leave it, lol.
  • bennett_346
    Eh? Did you even read my first post?
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    me i go for Freeride Muddy Mary.

they weigh half a ton, are almost impossible to puncture and stick to the trail like a hooover.. downside they weigh half a ton and stick to the trail like a hoover man thats effort!
    This. Full traction FTW!