DIY removing frame bearings experience

bluechair84
bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
edited February 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
This weekend I've removed and re-greased the bearings in my frame for the first time. There's plenty of questions out there from people who have wanted to know how to do it, and few guides. If anyone would like to see how I removed them with a socket set and front quick release, have a click here where I've written a brief guide. Hopefully it'll be of help for anyone not wanting to send a fortune on a bearing press or shop labour.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    again it all depends on the frame design

i would re write that stating the year and model of the frame you worked on.

i can think of many that that will not work on.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    nicklouse wrote:
    again it all depends on the frame design

i would re write that stating the year and model of the frame you worked on.

i can think of many that that will not work on.

Cheers. I've amended it with the following:
    This technique is only suitable to frames where there are flat surfaces on either side of the bearing for you to press accurately. The frame being used is an Ellsworth Moment MKII. There is only one place on the frame that doesn't have flat reference surfaces - the main pivot in the rocker linkage. You will need to look closely at your frame to see if the area around the bearing is suitable for a blank die to brace against. An angled surface will mean you cannot pull the bearing in a straight line in reference to it's recess.