gt idrive build

boydmtbrider
boydmtbrider Posts: 31
edited February 2013 in MTB beginners
hi i been giving a gt idrive comp frame which i plane to build my own bike.I have no clue about building a bike but have mechanical know how so should be ok.I just need help with scouring parts such as headseats,bottom brackets and so on as i really dont know which sizes i will need.I will be using the bike but nothing too serious its mainly about the build the parts could be mid range quality as im not looking for the most expensive as im really not that serious rider.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    read the info on parktools for sizes and how tos and what tools are needed.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • ok thanks for that,is there any brand/equipment you suggest i can fit to the bike?
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Which Idrive is it? lots of versions out there.

I had one of the last, a 5, it was pretty nice. Heavy as a heavy thing but it worked really well. IIRC it was 73mm BB shell (though the GT website said 72). Standard headset. Oh and choosy about bulky front mechs, my cheapo X5 wouldn't fit, too bulky. Stuck on some Shimano instead, maybe SLX double, maybe LX triple, can't remember.

Recommended for 130mm forks but I ran it with 140mm and it was much better IMO (next owner put 150mm and said that was good too, but you start to worry more about pulling the end off the frame at that point... Though it was built like an icebreaker)

Nothing really complicated about building a bike, though lots of wee tricks and knacks, but there are some parts that are an art rather than a science ;) Give me an engine to rebuild and I'm happy, but ask me to align a front mech and I just infinite monkey it :mrgreen:
    Uncompromising extremist
  • thanks northwind and i dont know which year it is:( i got it from my mates wife when he past away.she sold most of his stuff but couldnt sell some bits so she past them on to me.How could i find out which one it is?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Post a pic or two.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools