Boardman team fs

keith81
keith81 Posts: 4
edited March 2013 in MTB buying advice
After looking at various bikes think im going to buy the above but was wondering if people thought i should build it myself im fairly mechanically competent do all my own work on my landrover so how hard are they to put together ?

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    If you are buying a bike it is likely to be built, or am I missing something?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • I've got the Team FS and built it myself, very easy.

From memory the only things you need to do are:

Put the front wheel on.
    Put the handlebars on.
    Put pedals on.
    Put seat post in.

And thats it. The only slightly complicated bit if you havent done it before is adjusting/tweaking the gears and even this is quite easy, it helps if you have/have access to a work stand though.

In the worse case youy may have to bleed the brakes, although mine were fine and just needed a bit of reach adjustment on the levers.

And make sure you buy some lube if you havent got it already for the seat post, pedals and chain etc. Another thing you need is a shock pump to set the pressure in the shock/forks and a multi tool also comes in handy, then off you go. Great bike!
    2012 Boardman FS Team
    2014 Giant Defy 2
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    A 'build' of a new bike takes no time, as ED has said.....

I have built a bike (geared) from a bare frame in just over an hour, so that amount won't take long.

If you can work on a car, a bike is easy, just check any step you're unsure of first, parktools website is excellent for info.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • thinking of buying a boardman team 2012 FS second hand. Any issues that I should look out for guys? I am viewing one of friday. The photos look fab but obviously need to take it for spin.
  • RandG
    RandG Posts: 779
    thinking of buying a boardman team 2012 FS second hand. Any issues that I should look out for guys? I am viewing one of friday. The photos look fab but obviously need to take it for spin.

I've had my fs tema for about 9 months now, I'f you find anything wrong with it, let me know, cause there ain't been a single thing wrong with mine.
  • oxocube1
    oxocube1 Posts: 651
    thinking of buying a boardman team 2012 FS second hand. Any issues that I should look out for guys? I am viewing one of friday. The photos look fab but obviously need to take it for spin.

Check for any frame damage (cracks, dints etc), ensure the forks are fully functioning (lockout works, rebound adjustment works, forks compress and rebound properly), inspect the BB as I know from a lot of personal experience with working on the MegaExo BBs on these without maintenance they get noisy/sieze up fairly quickly. Make sure the wheels re true, brakes are good (Elixir 3s are known to be noisy), and other general checks.
  • thanks guys! I was only told to check the suspn bearings for play. And 'll bring my chain gauge and check the sprockets.
  • Also check the heads on the suspension hex bolts, they aren't very strong and its very easy to strip them if you over torque the bolt making them a bugger to get out if needed.
    2012 Boardman FS Team
    2014 Giant Defy 2
  • Checked her over and looks in cracking nick. No chain or brake wear whatsoever and all the bearings seemed bang on. Gears were not set up perfect and a bit of a squeal from rear brake - might need bled? Fingers crossed she does me well. Now I have to tell the wife...
  • ElliesDad
    ElliesDad Posts: 245
    To be honest a squealing brake might just be one of those things. Disc brakes have a habit of sqealing, not likely to need bleeding unless the brake feels spongy, sqealing is more likely down to contamination of the disc/brake. It can help to clean the brake with brake cleaner or give them a light sanding to remove the contamination, just make sure you bed them in properly again after you've done this.
    2012 Boardman FS Team
    2014 Giant Defy 2
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Bleeding does not solve squealing.
    Repeat.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • well, got her home and only then realized the eejit must have lubed the discs with WD40 or something....

stripped her down, degreased, then used IPA to clean everything spotless. Rubbed the pads against a brick wall afterwards to hopefully remove any last traces of oil..... hopefully get a half-decent rip on it tomorrow....

pads look as if it's never been used but very little clearance between the pads and the disc - pistons are pretty much flush when I slotted the pads in - sound normal enough?
  • oxocube1
    oxocube1 Posts: 651
    well, got her home and only then realized the eejit must have lubed the discs with WD40 or something....

stripped her down, degreased, then used IPA to clean everything spotless. Rubbed the pads against a brick wall afterwards to hopefully remove any last traces of oil..... hopefully get a half-decent rip on it tomorrow....

pads look as if it's never been used but very little clearance between the pads and the disc - pistons are pretty much flush when I slotted the pads in - sound normal enough?

Yea just get them bedded in then see how they are. Like i said in my first post on here, the Elixir 3s are noisy brakes! I've had a few people coming into the shop with them on the FS and HT making exactly the same noise and none of the methods I have tried yet have worked. They are not all like it but a fair few certainly are.