Large frame Roadbike, help

unn444s
unn444s Posts: 3
edited February 2013 in Road beginners
Hi
I'm looking at buying a roadbike for commuting (20mile round trip with big hills) and weekend trips. I currently have a Kona Dew + but would like a better, lighter bike. My budget is 1000-15000 max, but my main problem is that i,m 6ft 7 and have a 36/7 inside leg. Iv tride a Caad10 61cm frame, but this was too small.

any advice?

Pete

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,552
    how about getting a nice steel frame custom made and built, for 1500 it should doable within budget, worst case it might mean using some components from the kona

for instance...

http://www.wilsoncycles.co.uk/shop/besp ... -range.php

...then you've got a good frame that really fits you well
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • I have a friend who is about 6'5, possibly taller. He rides a Ribble Winter/Audax 7005 which comes in a 64cm frame which might be worth checking out? It's way below your budget but gets great reviews. http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... udax-11764
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Hi, i'm 6'5 and ride a 61cm felt Z6. I'm pretty sure other bikes higher up in the z series are also available in a 61cm frame (as are the f series for a more aggressive ride).
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • My mate is about your size. He rides an Indy Fab made specifically to his body geometry. I could make some enquiries if you like

8443904169_577fb79de7.jpg
  • bobinski
    bobinski Posts: 570
    A friend of same height as you and possibly longer legged bought the largest sised cube-fitted him perfectly with i think a 1cm longer stem than usual.
  • TakeTurns
    TakeTurns Posts: 1,075
    We share the same inseam, however it seems you have a longer torso.

I've tried a BMC 60cm which fit me well.
    Cannondale 63cm is also another good fit.

I use a 140mm 3T stem, partly because I like the aggressive position. 140mm is easy to source, you could try for longer if you wanted though.
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    6'7" is beyond the normal range of big bikes.
    Zinn is the best builder of big bikes. If your local builder is going to do it, make sure he copies the significant features: wide tubing, wide headset, high bottom bracket, long chainstays. Big bikes can't be ultralight like small bikes.
  • Thanks for all the advice, lots of leads to follow up. I like the idea of a custom frame and will be looking into this. The Ribble sounds good with a frame up to 64cm and I have seen some other bike frames in larger sizes.
    Some of the advice note US firms like Zinn, do they have UK outlets? If I went down the custom frame, could anyone recommend a firm near Stroud in Gloucestershire?
    Thanks
    Pete
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    Argos Cycles in Bristol is probably your best bet for a local builder. If things don't turn out the way you want, you need someone local to put things right.
    You should beware how most custom builders make big frames (ie like the orange one above), making the top tube higher and the seat-tuber slacker to compensate for big legs on short cranks. Study everything Zinn has written and also see Touring Bikes: A Practical Guide by Tony Oliver.